Hatch-along (for around September 1st)

Peep_Show

Free Ranging
14 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Corrales, NM
I'm setting about 40 eggs tomorrow. Is anybody else getting ready for an end-of-the-month hatch? Want to join in?

Eggs are: Welsummers, Cinnamon Queens (RSL) and Olive Eggers (FBCMxLegbar)

Incubator is an ancient beat-up 30 y.o. Miller styrofoam box which still functions adequately.

What's in your incubator?

I have a silkie that hasn't moved in 2 days, so I'm in, she has 4 eggs, 1 of her own, 2 of her sister's and one random brown egg.

Last edited:
What's the random brown one?

BTW, according to the 2014 Old Farmers Almanac eggs set today and tomorrow hatch under a very good moon sign for healthy chickens.

Ready, go, SET! Taken Aug 10th at midnight

I had 41 eggs but only room for 40, so a weepy Welsummer egg didn't make the cut. Notice the stark white egg in the upper left-hand corner? It's *supposed* to be a Cinnamon Queen, but I think they ran out and threw that in for the 12+ eggs (I got 14 total from that shipment, so no complaints). I think it's a California White (leghorn)...yet another token egg. (Last hatch I had a bunch of dark brown marans eggs and 1 white TJ's egg because I dropped an egg after submitting a count for the hatch contest and needed a filler).
The fattest eggs are the Legbar Olive Eggers (F1 and blue) which will hatch out birds that lay eggs that are the dark green ones shown in the photo. The dark green ones in the photo are crossed back to Marans and so will be F2 that lay an even darker green egg.
All eggs pictured except for the F2's are sex-linked, so can determine the laying flock early and not have to feed a bunch of roos.

Ready, go, SET! Taken Aug 10th at midnight

I had 41 eggs but only room for 40, so a weepy Welsummer egg didn't make the cut. Notice the stark white egg in the upper left-hand corner? It's *supposed* to be a Cinnamon Queen, but I think they ran out and threw that in for the 12+ eggs (I got 14 total from that shipment, so no complaints). I think it's a California White (leghorn)...yet another token egg. (Last hatch I had a bunch of dark brown marans eggs and 1 white TJ's egg because I dropped an egg after submitting a count for the hatch contest and needed a filler).
The fattest eggs are the Legbar Olive Eggers (F1 and blue) which will hatch out birds that lay eggs that are the dark green ones shown in the photo. The dark green ones in the photo are crossed back to Marans and so will be F2 that lay an even darker green egg.
All eggs pictured except for the F2's are sex-linked, so can determine the laying flock early and not have to feed a bunch of roos.

Came home to find a broody hen which, if everything goes right, should be gracing me with its chicks on the 31st of August or the 1st of September.

I attribute it to my birthday and the 'Super Moon'!

Welcome aboard!

It used to be full moons triggered werewolves. Do you suppose it triggers broody hens? (Thankfully NOT werehens)

What's the random brown one?

BTW, according to the 2014 Old Farmers Almanac eggs set today and tomorrow hatch under a very good moon sign for healthy chickens.

Probably from one of my sex links, bred by an EE cockerel, slim possibility from a Columbian rock (2/8 brown eggs are) or a Cornish giant Pullet (14 weeks, so doubtful) I'm keeping for spring hatching

Back
Top Bottom