Hatch-Along - Setting eggs this weekend (Jan5/6) WHOS WITH ME!

Help!!! My 3rd chick hatched and it had green poo like stuff coming from its rear, and when hatched I saw the other chicks pecking at it. Then I removed the egg shell and the chick fluttered around and I saw blood on the paper towel!! It looks like his rear end is coming out!! Please has anyone seen this and the chick survive??
That is most likely the peeps navel, and the stuff was yolk.. I would separate that one from the others, because they will keep pecking at it, and possibly do a lot more damage. It could make it ok, but you just have to keep it warm and isolated for now

That is most likely the peeps navel, and the stuff was yolk.. I would separate that one from the others, because they will keep pecking at it, and possibly do a lot more damage. It could make it ok, but you just have to keep it warm and isolated for now

It just poo'd green stuff! I took the other out the bator and just left it, but so afraid it's bad. :(

It just poo'd green stuff! I took the other out the bator and just left it, but so afraid it's bad.
sad.png
I was told in the NYDH that green poop after hatching is normal (not infected which is what I was afraid it ment).

The naval is a separate issue - I had one that drug its naval cord w/ active blood veins back into the membrane & a piece of the shell for 6 hrs, I let it do that so it would absorb the blood and dry the veins which finally did then when it was totally dry I cut it off. There was a protrusion from the navel & lots of ppl warned me it would be infected "mushy chick" or some such & likely died. BUT by 12 hrs when I was going to put antibiotics on it etc. the chick was 100% fine! :) Everything looked like normal, like the protrusion never happened and the chick was super active, healthy etc. It is one of the 2 who survived my NYDH disasters (other healthier looking ones never made it to the brooder!) So yes, it is possible your chick will be completely fine. Just keep the other chicks from pecking it and let it rest and dry off, then some triple antibiotic ointment on the navel IF it still looks bad. (I used a tissue box w/ the top cut off to make an isolation area to separate a weak chick, just check often b/d it won't have much way to get closer of farther from the heat source). Good luck!

I was told in the NYDH that green poop after hatching is normal (not infected which is what I was afraid it ment).

The naval is a separate issue - I had one that drug its naval cord w/ active blood veins back into the membrane & a piece of the shell for 6 hrs, I let it do that so it would absorb the blood and dry the veins which finally did then when it was totally dry I cut it off. There was a protrusion from the navel & lots of ppl warned me it would be infected "mushy chick" or some such & likely died. BUT by 12 hrs when I was going to put antibiotics on it etc. the chick was 100% fine! :) Everything looked like normal, like the protrusion never happened and the chick was super active, healthy etc. It is one of the 2 who survived my NYDH disasters (other healthier looking ones never made it to the brooder!) So yes, it is possible your chick will be completely fine. Just keep the other chicks from pecking it and let it rest and dry off, then some triple antibiotic ointment on the navel IF it still looks bad. (I used a tissue box w/ the top cut off to make an isolation area to separate a weak chick, just check often b/d it won't have much way to get closer of farther from the heat source). Good luck!

Thank you!! I search the web and that's what it says also, so I'm somewhat relieved. This chick is way more active than my other 3 when they first hatched. It is crying none stop and if it sees me I swear tries to climb out the incubator towards me. Ugh!! I never imagined hatching chicks would be this eventful! I need a very stiff drink! Lol

Oh on another note, my first chick that hatched wont open its eyes. Not that it can't cause I have seen them open today, but it literally walk around with its eyes closed! Ever heard of that? My other two that hatched today are just running around like they weren't just hatched and with their eyes open.

Oh on another note, my first chick that hatched wont open its eyes. Not that it can't cause I have seen them open today, but it literally walk around with its eyes closed! Ever heard of that? My other two that hatched today are just running around like they weren't just hatched and with their eyes open.

I have had a sleepy baby like that and it did fine, just seemed to take a few days to get going. It did have me worried tho!

My second chick to pip did it at the wrong end of the egg, and it drowned :(

I had a baby get stuck with membrain on its eye and head and wing and had a rough naval with a little slime and stuff last night , I cleaned her up and let her rest for awhile in the bator . She is still sleeping more then the others in the brooder but as long as the owie dosnt get pecked by the others or infected she will do fine they usually do just keep an eye on yours like I will be on mine. These guys can be so contradictory some of them seem to kill over for no reason and then some of them have problems and stuff and still make it fine.
Here is my little one today. Seems to be doing ok dried up pretty well. Since her little never is under her bottom unless I have a reall picker she should be fine as long as she dosnt try to sleep on her back.

I have had a sleepy baby like that and it did fine, just seemed to take a few days to get going. It did have me worried tho!

My second chick to pip did it at the wrong end of the egg, and it drowned :(
I also had a chick that pipped the wrong end and didnt make it:( I didnt notice it because the hole was facing downward. We found it as we pulled all the chicks from the bator.

Tonight is day 22.5 in total we got 8 chicks hatched one pipped wrong end and didnt make it and10 eggs are in the incubator I think most eggs stopped developing but was hopefull I had 2-3 more chicks to hatch. I still have the remainder of the eggs in the incubator to see what happens but I am so tempted to open them all up and see if a live chick is struggling to get out. I dont want to let any die. I know I shouldnt though.

Back
Top Bottom