Hatch-Along - Setting eggs this weekend (Jan5/6) WHOS WITH ME!

*raises hand* Oh me too me too I will be hatching again :)

As soon as I get the incu kit in I will be modifying my chestbator and it will be time to rock and roll!

I wont start collecting until after I get everything installed, hopefully that way I wont rush it and will have everything stable.

Me too, me too. I had the most unsuccessful hatch there ever was. Only 2, they were over 2 days late and I had to help and one was deformed and culled this morning. So, now we have 1 chick. 3 hens are setting on eggs but who know with the unreliability of the girls, I feel he would only be a sacrifice. Maybe a chick will hatch soon under a hen.
But, I've pulled up my big girl boots and ready to go again. My uncle has beautiful Barred Rocks, and hopefully, I'll be receiving some blue egg layer eggs. This week end, I'm separating the EE's and the Marans so that I can have some pure of each in a month. I'll be looking for you all where ever you decide to post. I'll get pictures of pee wee soon. He's dark but now eating and drinking, a good sign.
idunno.gif

Does anyone know much about hatching pullet eggs. I cant remember if we discussed it here or if I was reading about it else where. I am setting eggs again probably on Sun. I been hoping for a while that one of my pullets who is in with a rooster would start to lay eggs so I can hatch them. Well lucky me my Japanese bantam laid her first egg today. Are these new pullet eggs ok to incubate or is it best for me to wait till next months incubation?
Pullet eggs hatch fine as long as they are shaped properly & are fertile. Sometimes the first few weeks of eggs are a bit wonky until she gets her system up & running & occasionally they are not fertile at 1st even if the roo has been doing his job.

*raises hand* Oh me too me too I will be hatching again :)

As soon as I get the incu kit in I will be modifying my chestbator and it will be time to rock and roll!

I wont start collecting until after I get everything installed, hopefully that way I wont rush it and will have everything stable.
I have eggs shipping Monday & am picking up local eggs Tuesday & Wednesday. I'm also trying to get a cabinet bator this weekend. I found someone not real far away who has 2 for sale.

It appears I'm not going to have any chicks hatch from batch 1 of the Rainbow Layers. Apparently my temp spikes did them in a week or so ago. Bator 2 still has some hope since I had quail hatch from there earlier this week & Bator 3 is going strong with eggs due 2/10 & 2/11. Bator 2 has quail hatching 2/2 & 2/3.

I DID manage to get chicks today even though mine didn't hatch. I got 10 Red Broilers & 10 Assorted Pullets in this morning from Ideal. The PO called me at 6:30am to tell me my babies had arrived & I could come get them. There were 54 total in the shipment, but the other 34 belonged to my friend. Here is a pic of the babies with some of the quail (4 days old & 3 weeks old for the quail). And of course there's Maxi in the back. The new LF babies are almost as big as she is & she's 2 1/2 weeks old.

We candled our mystery eggs and we have definitely 2 really good eggs that we saw kicking and a lot of movement and one that we saw moving but the air sac is kinda funny looking so we are hopeful for that one and our last one didn't look so good but we put it into lockdown anyways because there was no sign of a bacteria ring or anything and it didn't smell...so who knows maybe its still okay. Lockdown starts now!!!!!!
smile.png

wee.gif

On a bad note, we cracked all our maran eggs open and no chicks really developed to far we are thinking that when they were shipped it was just too cold thats the only thing we can think of because our mystery eggs were in with our marans for most of the time so it wasn't us!!!

We candled our mystery eggs and we have definitely 2 really good eggs that we saw kicking and a lot of movement and one that we saw moving but the air sac is kinda funny looking so we are hopeful for that one and our last one didn't look so good but we put it into lockdown anyways because there was no sign of a bacteria ring or anything and it didn't smell...so who knows maybe its still okay. Lockdown starts now!!!!!!
smile.png

wee.gif

On a bad note, we cracked all our maran eggs open and no chicks really developed to far we are thinking that when they were shipped it was just too cold thats the only thing we can think of because our mystery eggs were in with our marans for most of the time so it wasn't us!!!
Sorry to hear about all your Marans eggs. I also ended up cracking open all my unhatched eggs and they were all developed but not fully. I also figure it was shipping because I didnt have any other problems with my incubation. Im going to incubate local eggs for awhile and hopefully soon from my own flock. I got my first egg today from my pullet in with roosters. Im debating on tossing it in(along with any others she lays by sun) with my local CCL eggs im picking up tomorrow.

AGGGHHHH K I feel like I should add

My name is Kristin and Im addicted to chickens
when I pick up my eggs Im also picking up 2 silkie chicks to brood with my chicks:) Thanks Gracie for being a great chicken and helping with my chicken math
tongue.png

Last edited:

when I pick up my eggs Im also picking up 2 silkie chicks to brood with my chicks:) Thanks Gracie for being a great chicken and helping with my chicken math
tongue.png

I'm sure Gracie will be honored to hear she had an influence on your math skills!
gig.gif

I hope your silkies end up being great broodies for you!

I did my eggtopsies and two of my eggs were infertile from the beginning. So I started with nineteen shipped fertile eggs, one of which was cracked, all of which I put into lockdown since it was my first hatch and I didn't trust myself to see quitters. Four fertile eggs didn't make it, so that makes my hatch rate 73.68(blahblahblah) percent. Pretty good for a first hatch on shipped eggs. I have some form of monkey paw luck, because the majority of the eggs that died were either my favorite numbers or colored.

The only Ameraucana egg that hatched was out of a pink egg, so I have no idea what that would imply genetically as I am new to chickens. Would it be possible for that chicken to lay blue or green eggs in the future, or produce offspring that will? Or am I doomed to a less colorful egg basket because of my monkey paw luck?

I did my eggtopsies and two of my eggs were infertile from the beginning. So I started with nineteen shipped fertile eggs, one of which was cracked, all of which I put into lockdown since it was my first hatch and I didn't trust myself to see quitters. Four fertile eggs didn't make it, so that makes my hatch rate 73.68(blahblahblah) percent. Pretty good for a first hatch on shipped eggs. I have some form of monkey paw luck, because the majority of the eggs that died were either my favorite numbers or colored.

The only Ameraucana egg that hatched was out of a pink egg, so I have no idea what that would imply genetically as I am new to chickens. Would it be possible for that chicken to lay blue or green eggs in the future, or produce offspring that will? Or am I doomed to a less colorful egg basket because of my monkey paw luck?
Crossed back to a blue/green egger roo they can & will produce colored eggs. If that baby's daddy was an EE it has a good chance of laying colored eggs.

tongue.png

Haha! My name is Kristin too. Spelled exactly the same and I too am addicted to chickens and may be buying a silkie rooster this weekend to cross with my Americauna/silkie crosses. Gracie has helped me with my chicken math as well! Oh goodness whatever did I talk about before owning chickens?

Haha! My name is Kristin too. Spelled exactly the same and I too am addicted to chickens and may be buying a silkie rooster this weekend to cross with my Americauna/silkie crosses. Gracie has helped me with my chicken math as well! Oh goodness whatever did I talk about before owning chickens?
LOL I know the feeling my husabnd says all I do is talk about chickens. Its so bad the other day He took our 3 daughters to the grocery store to pick up dinner and had the girls pick me out some flowers my oldest(10) said I think mom would want a chicken instead
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom