Hatch-Along - Setting eggs this weekend (Jan5/6) WHOS WITH ME!

Glad to hear she's doing better! I can just imagine how you felt tho with finding the sour crop, argh! Have you taken her feed away? At least for the day..but make sure she has lots of fresh water and maybe a little grit.

I had some problems when I first started hatching as well, almost made me throw in the towel.

Glad to hear she's doing better! I can just imagine how you felt tho with finding the sour crop, argh! Have you taken her feed away? At least for the day..but make sure she has lots of fresh water and maybe a little grit.

I had some problems when I first started hatching as well, almost made me throw in the towel.
yes we took her food away and we also brought her inside and is in her own little cage we emptied the crop and got the crop to shrink a good bit. She still doesn't seem herself though. Really hoping she starts to feel better soon. At this point I just want everyone to be healthy!!

I have wanted some chantecler chickens for a while now, and someone was selling three hens and a rooster relatively close to me.

I was so excited to finally have some!! So we got them and brought them home, kept them in their own coop to get settled in etc esp since the rooster was a little frisky for my liking. About a month or so later, a hen was looking...i dunno...poofy, and not really eating, next day or two she was dead!

A month after that I was outside in the morning, hearing the birds cackle like someone laid and egg (which they still hadn't done since bringing them home, they went into moult) so I was very excited, they were starting to lay!! I go check on them and the coop is full of BLOOD and so are my rooster and one hen!!! I believe I interrupted a weasel attack.

Moved poor bloody hen with head wound to recovery pen and she got better, as did the rooster. About a month later she was acting poofy and I found her dead soon after.

What is wrong with these chickens!!!

Finally the third hen succumbed as well.

The rooster seems to be doing fine. I think he got sick too, but he was the only one with bloody poo.

I wish they were all just fine and healthy too :(

Unfortunately our pullet, Piper, who had sour crop passed away this evening. SO upset. I wish we could have done more for her.
sad.png
sad.png

Thought I'd post this up here also... did put it in the PA Unite thread also.

The little ones are getting braver by the day, starting to fly short distances. One decided to use Mindy as a launch pad today for a test flight (was on her back and took off for a practice flight) and another hopped onto her back to get out of the way of a hen fight (Gracie once again went after another hen who got into her area)... or maybe it just wanted a better view? Unfortunately I didn't have the camera ready to snap pics of those. But did get some other short vids of them.

Unfortunately our pullet, Piper, who had sour crop passed away this evening. SO upset. I wish we could have done more for her.
sad.png
sad.png
I know you mean what you wrote but I don't think you could have done much more. We do so much for our chickens we love.
sad.png
Sue

As an afterthought, I had an adult Delaware hen that had something wrong with her crop (or I thought so. This was when I firs joined BYC and was reading about all the problems people had with their chickens) Sally's crop was huge. I came online and read where they said to alternately holding her upside down and upright, after giving her some oil and messaging her crop for 2 hours (I swear! I swear!) I'm surprised I didn't kill her. Sally and I now have a brand new relationship. lol) Hers is probably loathing!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom