Hatching- Bacitracin on membranes?

Zinc is a drying ingredient, not a moisturizer. I'd think the ointment without would be better if one wanted to try this.

All I can attest to is that it did not dry on the membranes of the chicks I used it on, including two peachicks that didn't hatch until the following morning (more than 8 hours after applying the ointment). Both of their membranes were still "ointment-y". I wouldn't call it wet, exactly, but the ointment certainly wasn't dried, and the membrane was still plenty pliable and was not at all tough. I, personally, would be concerned about using an ointment with neomycin in it without any specific reason. Neomycin is an antibiotic (what I am using to treat the e. coli problem in my birds) and there can be some pretty serious side effects. I don't know what the third ingredient is in the ointment mentioned.

All I can attest to is that it did not dry on the membranes of the chicks I used it on, including two peachicks that didn't hatch until the following morning (more than 8 hours after applying the ointment). Both of their membranes were still "ointment-y". I wouldn't call it wet, exactly, but the ointment certainly wasn't dried, and the membrane was still plenty pliable and was not at all tough. I, personally, would be concerned about using an ointment with neomycin in it without any specific reason. Neomycin is an antibiotic (what I am using to treat the e. coli problem in my birds) and there can be some pretty serious side effects. I don't know what the third ingredient is in the ointment mentioned.
I ended up getting the one at walmart with the zinc. If it worked for you with no ill sight effects then its probably the kind to use that was mentioned in the article I read so i'll give it a shot. I just put them in lockdown late tonight. The babies did not look like they were filling the egg all the way yet, i hope thats normal right now.

I ended up getting the one at walmart with the zinc. If it worked for you with no ill sight effects then its probably the kind to use that was mentioned in the article I read so i'll give it a shot. I just put them in lockdown late tonight. The babies did not look like they were filling the egg all the way yet, i hope thats normal right now.
My ointment has zinc too.

Just reading about someone hatching Silkies makes me want to hatch more! Of course, I only have two and they could both be roosters... so I should probably hatch a few more to make sure I get some girls : )

So you've never had an issue with too much humidity? I read that too much can make them drown? My friend likes to assist all her hatches pretty early because she found so many couldnt hatch on their own and would die after 21-22 days even so she began helping them at day 19-20 even though it was early and alot would still need to absorb their yolk but she'd do it anyway very carefully and they'd make it just fine. My first batch I gave them to my hen and they were alive on day 19 but none made it. None even pipped. I candled at day 23 and they appeared dead, like they'd been that way for several days so now im afraid to let them go too long. It seemed like they were dried out from the inside, like they just didnt get enough humidity from the hen which confused me. These are silkies by the way. Very touchy breed to hatch to begin with. Have you hatched these? How long did you wait? I am prepared to help if I dont see any pips at day 20-21, im just afraid to wait longer then that since they seem to die shortly after if they dont have help.
"Drowning" is a problem with too much humidity earlier in incubation, such that not enough of the water inside the eggs evaporates through the shell, leaving excess water inside the egg. It really has nothing to do with the humidity outside the egg, other than the fact that drier air pulls more moisture from the egg. That is why "dry incubation" is so successful. The goal is for an egg to lose 13% of it's weight during incubation. I weigh my eggs regularly and adjust the humidity toward the 13% goal. During the most humid times of the year, I used no water until lockdown, later in the fall, I needed to add a little water to keep the RH above 20%. Someone in a very dry area could not use "dry incubation" I guess, but everyone should jack the RH up for hatching, or you will get chicks stuck in the shell that need help to get out (or die there).

High humidity will not directly drown a chick unless water is condensing on the top and dripping onto the eggs, which I've never seen, but you could look out for.

I've hatched hundreds of Silkies (probably more than any other breed) and I wouldn't consider them any harder to hatch than other breeds. Most of them were years ago, when I didn't understand the way RH works, and they still hatched ok, so whatever you do will still likely have some success, I'd just like to see you get as many healthy chicks as possible.

There are variations in hatchability, both from genetic weaknesses and the health of the parents. Show quality strains could be more prone to the genetic issues due to inbreeding for desirable traits.

I believe the 60% RH idea is why your friend needs to help them, and a lack of patience. Some chicks are also too weak to hatch on their own, sometimes due to genetic issues, I think we are hurting our birds to allow those chicks to hatch and perpetuate the problems. Good stock, well cared for, should produce vigorous chicks. I had some hybrids hatching over the summer that seemed to jump out of their shells and compete for who could get food and water first. Commercial hatcheries breed and manage their flocks for that kind of hatching vigor, they would never help a chick to hatch.

"Drowning" is a problem with too much humidity earlier in incubation, such that not enough of the water inside the eggs evaporates through the shell, leaving excess water inside the egg. It really has nothing to do with the humidity outside the egg, other than the fact that drier air pulls more moisture from the egg. That is why "dry incubation" is so successful. The goal is for an egg to lose 13% of it's weight during incubation. I weigh my eggs regularly and adjust the humidity toward the 13% goal. During the most humid times of the year, I used no water until lockdown, later in the fall, I needed to add a little water to keep the RH above 20%. Someone in a very dry area could not use "dry incubation" I guess, but everyone should jack the RH up for hatching, or you will get chicks stuck in the shell that need help to get out (or die there).

High humidity will not directly drown a chick unless water is condensing on the top and dripping onto the eggs, which I've never seen, but you could look out for.

I've hatched hundreds of Silkies (probably more than any other breed) and I wouldn't consider them any harder to hatch than other breeds. Most of them were years ago, when I didn't understand the way RH works, and they still hatched ok, so whatever you do will still likely have some success, I'd just like to see you get as many healthy chicks as possible.

There are variations in hatchability, both from genetic weaknesses and the health of the parents. Show quality strains could be more prone to the genetic issues due to inbreeding for desirable traits.

I believe the 60% RH idea is why your friend needs to help them, and a lack of patience. Some chicks are also too weak to hatch on their own, sometimes due to genetic issues, I think we are hurting our birds to allow those chicks to hatch and perpetuate the problems. Good stock, well cared for, should produce vigorous chicks. I had some hybrids hatching over the summer that seemed to jump out of their shells and compete for who could get food and water first. Commercial hatcheries breed and manage their flocks for that kind of hatching vigor, they would never help a chick to hatch.

Makes sense, thanks! I just put them in lockdown late last night at midnight. Its day 18 today. Im so nervous. I hope they hatch alright!

Last edited:
I hope your hatch went well!!
Thanks for checking in. Unfortunately no, none hatched. A few were dead in shell and one was getting very shrink wrapped and I stayed up till 4am helping it out. I got it breathing for 15mins still in its shell and as I starting helping it out a little more ( Head was very squished down under a foot) it suddenly stopped breathing. I then noticed the poor baby was deformed with one eye :( Probably was for the best, as it may not have thrived anyway. It was a pretty sad night, and wasent sure I wanted to try it again but I decided i'll give it another shot. I get my new batch of eggs tomorrow.:)

Thanks for checking in. Unfortunately no, none hatched. A few were dead in shell and one was getting very shrink wrapped and I stayed up till 4am helping it out. I got it breathing for 15mins still in its shell and as I starting helping it out a little more ( Head was very squished down under a foot) it suddenly stopped breathing. I then noticed the poor baby was deformed with one eye :( Probably was for the best, as it may not have thrived anyway. It was a pretty sad night, and wasent sure I wanted to try it again but I decided i'll give it another shot. I get my new batch of eggs tomorrow.:)

Oh I'm so sorry!!
hugs.gif

I have only hatched a couple Silkies and they were terribly mal-positioned. One was backwards in the egg and had its umbilical cord tight around its neck, it's amazing it made it. I will dry incubate if I try them again. I'm glad you got more eggs!

Back
Top Bottom