Pics

FortCluck

Hatch-a-Long Queen
Sep 9, 2019
Central Virginia
I jumped onto BYC today and the lovely Kdogg (Kelsey) decided she would share a video with me about a broody chicken hatching quail chicks and raising them so that they could free range with the rest of the chickens.

Mrs. Tweedy one of my favorite broodies has gone broody AGAIN for the 2nd time in two months. The first time I broke her by giving her chicks that I had hatched in my incubator. I honestly loved that she accepted them and I did not have to brood them myself... It was a load off my back for sure.

She has now left that chick at 4 weeks old and is ready to hatch some more. She is a bantam chicken and quite small. She is one of the more fierce of my bantams and that is what makes her the best broody.

Mrs. Tweedy has been sitting on chicken eggs for 3 days so they will hatch in 18 days at the exact same time when the coturnix quail hatch. The coturnix quail eggs are from my homegrown bunch that consist of Scarlet, Falb Fee, SSC, and Autumn Amber.

This will be something that I have never tried before, but some have. I would love to have free range quail (I do have an 8 ft fence that goes around my free range area that is 10,000 sq feet).

So join me in this new experience...

C06BA5D6-214F-4DF6-A05B-325FDEB95FBE.jpeg 4B3B9CE5-ED1D-4791-8191-A9BE134F2269.jpeg DD63BC19-EB40-4C73-80B0-19C0CCFE5985.jpeg

Last edited:
Also you’re so kind :love
Why do you say that?

And I am so excited too. I am going to try to get as many pics as I can. Mrs. Tweedy is a chicken I hatched last year, she might have hatched in October 2019 for the Halloween Hatch-a-Long. I do not remember. She is a broody machine. My silkie has yet to go broody.

Why do you say that?

And I am so excited too. I am going to try to get as many pics as I can. Mrs. Tweedy is a chicken I hatched last year, she might have hatched in October 2019 for the Halloween Hatch-a-Long. I do not remember. She is a broody machine. My silkie has yet to go broody.
Cause of what you wrote about me! Lol :love

And that’s amazing!!! She sounds like a great hen!! :love

Me too. I never knew that it could be done until Kdogg shared the video with me. If it works, I will be hatching more quail than chickens that is for sure. I find them better for some reason than chickens.
I didn’t know either till I Googled it the other day and stumbled across a few BYC threads and that video LOL

I love my quail too!!! They are great!! :love

Although my broody and her chicken chicks are pretty darn cute!!! LOL

I jumped onto BYC today and the lovely Kdogg (Kelsey) decided she would share a video with me about a broody chicken hatching quail chicks and raising them so that they could free range with the rest of the chickens.

Mrs. Tweedy one of my favorite broodies has gone broody AGAIN for the 2nd time in two months. The first time I broke her by giving her chicks that I had hatched in my incubator. I honestly loved that she accepted them and I did not have to brood them myself... It was a load off my back for sure.

She has now left that chick at 4 weeks old and is ready to hatch some more. She is a bantam chicken and quite small. She is one of the more fierce of my bantams and that is what makes her the best broody.

Mrs. Tweedy has been sitting on chicken eggs for 3 days so they will hatch in 18 days at the exact same time when the coturnix quail hatch. The coturnix quail eggs are from my homegrown bunch that consist of Scarlet, Falb Fee, SSC, and Autumn Amber.

This will be something that I have never tried before, but some have. I would love to have free range quail (I do have an 8 ft fence that goes around my free range area that is 10,000 sq feet).

So join me in this new experience...

View attachment 2256939View attachment 2256941View attachment 2256943
Aww, look at her! I love broodies.
Also, is her name a reference to Chicken Run, by chance?
Good luck with the eggs!

Back
Top Bottom