Hatching Guinea Eggs Under A Chicken?

Arya28

Songster
Apr 9, 2017
Pennsylvania
We are thinking about setting a broody hen on some chicken eggs within the next week, but we also want to hatch some guinea eggs- would it be ok to put the guinea eggs under her too, or should we try to get a guinea hen to go broody too? Have any of you ever hatched guinea eggs under a chicken?

Duck eggs, a pigeon egg once. Never a guinea egg. Hens are a bit like the universal incubator, though. They're far better mothers than guineas, from what I understand, and they're much better mothers than ducks.

You could set the guinea eggs now and the chicken eggs a week later, that way they all hatch at the same time. I've done that with duck eggs and the hatch was slightly staggered, but it all worked out.

@Pyxis might know more.

EDT'D because I'm typing in the dark.

Last edited:
Duck eggs, a pigeon egg once. Never a guinea egg. Hens are a bit like the universal incubator, though. They're far better mothers than guineas, from what I understand, and they much better mothers than ducks.

You could set the guinea eggs now and the chicken eggs a week later, that way they all hatch at the same time. I've done that with duck eggs and the hatch was slightly staggered, but it all worked out.

@Pyxis might know more.

Wow, a pigeon egg under a chicken! Anyway your idea about setting them a week early is good! We might have to try that. What do you think about the difference in body heat between chickens and guineas? Do you think that would complicate anything?

Wow, a pigeon egg under a chicken! Anyway your idea about setting them a week early is good! We might have to try that. What do you think about the difference in body heat between chickens and guineas? Do you think that would complicate anything?
Not really. If you take a good look at incubator instructions, they can differ by several degrees (98.5-102). Anyway, I found this thread for you: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...inea-eggs-another-update-pics-post-36.498058/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom