Hatchling has "ROLLOVER SYNDROME"

Quote:
I puchased Poly Vi Sol without Iron, however I have not used it on my hatchlings, yet. The reason for this is because its Grape Flavored. I tried to find unflavored and was informed by the Pharmacists that Poly does not come unflavored. Is the grape flavored alright to use on Bobwhite Quail hatchlings? If not, where do you purchase the unflavored, maybe I can buy it offline or contact the store you deal with for a direct shipment.

I realize this post is from 3 years ago, but wanted to share my experience, as I found this thread while searching for answers myself. My 4-day old bantam chick was doing the same - sleeping on head, rolling over, walking backwards. I went to check on him in the middle of the night and found him on his back in one of his "fits" looking like he was trying to pull his head off. I was certain I would find him dead in the morning. Much to my surprise "Flip" was up and eating and has been doing well ever since. I had found another post from a man who had several birds that had worked through similar issues over time and he felt that if they were able to eat, then there would be no reason to cull them.

Yes, they can and do recuperate. Sometimes these issues are vitamin deficiencies, improper neck positions within the egg, or even encephalitis's that effect newborn chicks and many times they do clear up, usually within the first week from hatching.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I just made it drink several times, so I'll give it a few minutes to see if its posture changes. After drinking, it passed a stool, so I am hopeful that perhaps that was the problem. (In previous chicks, I have noticed that one will occasionally go crazy peeping, running around backwards, turning cartwheels and such until I massage its abdomen to help it poop.)

When I pick it up, it continues to slowly turn somersaults in my hand. When I reach to pick it up, it skitters backwards and then turns a somersault, so it definitely is holding to the strange position. The chick is otherwise normal and healthy in appearance. I am concerned now because I just noticed another chick pointing its head downward (it is still walking around normally otherwise). I hope this doesn't turn into some obscure disease like "highly contagious avian meningitis"...

They definitely have enough warmth. In addition to the brooder lamp, I've started keeping an extra large reptile heat rock in the tank. The chicks love to cuddle against it and climb on it, so it acts kind of like a surrogate mother. The chick in question has been leaning against the heat rock all day, unlike the other 14 chicks who have been accompanying the adult hen who shares their brooder. She is not their 'mommy' but she hasn't found a way to inform them as such.

I had this exact same thing happen to a Bielefelder chick we have. Looks soo pitiful! There's nothing really on the web about it. But I did research and found that with adding vitamin supplements to the chicks water he soon recovered and was fine. It is not contagious but it supposedly comes from the mom having a vitamin deficiency or genetic disorder. 3 weeks later and my little chick is walking and holding his head like nothing ever happened. I wish I could post the video here. Its exactly as you said. Walking backwards doing summersaults.

Back
Top Bottom