Have to kill all my chickens tomorrow!

Pics

Foxinthehenhouse

Songster
Aug 7, 2019
Cruso, NC
I live in the mountains of NC, very seclude. About a month ago my chickens started getting sick. Respiratory infection. Treated
with sulphur drug prescribed by Vet, didn’t work. Lost a hen and took to state for necropsy. Got a call this afternoon and I’m under quarantine and I have to kill all my babies!! I’m so upset, don’t know what to do! They have Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. Very contagious, the state is sending a rep tomorrow morning to have me sign papers stating that I won’t remove chickens from my property.
I haven’t had anyone with chickens at my home or introduced any new chickens to my flock for five months. WHAT HAPPENED, I‘M DEVISTATED, 😢

Last edited:
They have Mycoplasma Gallisepticum....I haven’t had anyone with chickens at my home or introduced any new chickens to my flock for five months. WHAT HAPPENE, I‘M DEVISTATED, 😢

I had to go look it up....

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/mycoplasmosis/mycoplasma-gallisepticum-infection-in-poultry

It looks like chickens can be infected for months, and only show symptoms when they experience some other kind of stress too. So there's no telling when they got it, or where.

It is transmitted from chickens to other chickens, carried on people's clothes and shoes and such, can be transmitted through the eggs to the next generation, and can also affect some kinds of wild birds (who can then spread it.) And just to make it worse, they stay infected for life. Antibiotics can make them seem less sick, but they still carry the disease and can spread it to others, so that is not really a solution.

That is one nasty disease! 😢

I live in the mountains of NC, very seclude. About a month ago my chickens started getting sick. Respiratory infection. Treated
with sulphur drug prescribed by Vet, didn’t work. Lost a hen and took to state for necropsy. Got a call this afternoon and I’m under quarantine and I have to kill all my babies!! I’m so upset, don’t know what to do! They have Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. Very contagious, the state is sending a rep tomorrow morning to have me sign papers stating that I won’t remove chickens from my property.
I haven’t had anyone with chickens at my home or introduced any new chickens to my flock for five months. WHAT HAPPENE, I‘M DEVISTATED, 😢
I'm so sorry. I know you don't know who I am, and I don't know who you are, but I do know that losing chickens is hard. My heart goes out to you, and if you need morale support, this byc community is here for you. I don't know what else to say. Is there anyone else who is quarantining with you who can do it instead of you?

I haven’t had anyone with chickens at my home or introduced any new chickens to my flock for five months. WHAT HAPPENE, I‘M DEVISTATED, 😢
I've got chills...
I'm so sorry for you, it could've come from another animal such as a rodent.
How many do you have currently?

What is this disease? What does it do? And I’m so sorry. If I had to kill all my babies (My ducks) I would cry so much.

I had to go look it up....

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/mycoplasmosis/mycoplasma-gallisepticum-infection-in-poultry

It looks like chickens can be infected for months, and only show symptoms when they experience some other kind of stress too. So there's no telling when they got it, or where.

It is transmitted from chickens to other chickens, carried on people's clothes and shoes and such, can be transmitted through the eggs to the next generation, and can also affect some kinds of wild birds (who can then spread it.) And just to make it worse, they stay infected for life. Antibiotics can make them seem less sick, but they still carry the disease and can spread it to others, so that is not really a solution.

Back
Top Bottom