Lemon-Drop

Let Your Light Shine ~ Matthew 5:16 🤍✝️
Mar 5, 2021
Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
So… have you lost your wisdom yet?
(As in wisdom teeth, aka 3rd molars)

This thread-discuss anything wisdom tooth related. Or Just tooth related. Share your story, plans, whatever. Have fun!

If you have a graphic picture, give it a spoiler please. Thanks!

I had my wisdom teeth pop up early on x ray (so I matured more quickly, right? :p)

Unfortunately, I was told I needed my wisdom teeth removed about a month ago by my orthodontist. I called my dentist, who said:
‘oh, I can do wisdom teeth!’
*pulls up panoramic x-ray*
*silence*
‘umm… there’s a great oral surgeon in _ [place]’
Lol. Apparently not quite able to do that.

So, I scheduled an appointment for a evaluation with an oral surgeon.

Today, I went to my appointment. The hygienist asked the bajillion questions, looked at the x-ray, and said ‘we’ll definitely put you under for that’
*gulp*
The doctor walks in, asks another bajillon questions, then takes a look in my mouth. Consults the x-ray and confirmed they needed to be removed. My mouth is tiny and crowded as is, and the teeth are impacted (angled at my other teeth) and if allowed to erupt would knock the other teeth out and cause nerve damage.

It feels unfair. Neither of my parents had wisdom teeth, my brother had one, and all my sisters had none. Except for me. I have all 4. Also, I brush and floss 2X a day. I’m always told I don’t take good care of my teeth, but my siblings do great when they rarely brush once a month. :rolleyes:

But anyways, in 3 weeks I’ll have the surgery. They’ll remove all four teeth (along with doing a quick maxillary frenectomy). Since I’m pretty young for the operation, all of them are being removed, and I have extreme anxiety, they’re going to give me general anesthesia. Im rather nervous.

So, post away!
Season 2 Wisdom GIF by New Amsterdam

(Teeth)

Getting your wisdom teeth pulled is really no big deal. Getting it done sooner of it needs to be done is definitely worth it. When I got mine pulled, it felt like no time had passed. It was not like a blinked and didn't even know the operation was over. I was groggy and shocked to be heading out the door. The hardest part was getting the IV. I have crappy veins that super hard to find, so they went in the hand which hurts a little bit more. They have to flick your hand to get them to pop out. But it really is not that bad.

Mine were impacted and infected before I knew what they were, Gettng them pulled as an emergency was no fun. I was still on the pain killers a week later when friends offered a few shots of taquilla. I puked in the middle of the street trying to get home. I remember puking in the street more clearly than the excraction process. Those were the days.

Yes, all four. Impacted. Nitrous oxide and novacaine. The 12 hour novacaine was really about 4. After, started with some pain killer that didn't work. Them demerol still nothing. Tylenol took that extra edge off, then the pain killers worked. At the time, I could feel the suture string drag across my chin. Also thought of how brave and tough I was for keeping my mouth open till the doc pulled out some block that had wedged between my teeth.

I have to have a few teeth removed soon, including at least one wisdom tooth. They're going to have to put me under because I have extreme anxiety, but so far they're giving me the run around about WHEN they want to schedule this. Because the teeth are so close to the nerve, they have to do oral surgery, which makes it sound even scarier, so I'm not exactly pressing them about when they're going to do it. I'd be interested to know how yours goes, and how your recovery goes as well. I really hope all goes well and you aren't in too much pain!

I had to do the oral surgeon/general anesthesia thing with mine. They were coming in facing my existing molars. Small jaw or something (yet big mouth...). Surgery was a breeze. The biggest problem I had was allowing my pain meds to wear off a few days after. Because I felt fine, I went to the grocery store alone. It was peachy one minute then I almost passed out from the pain.

They say wisdom is learning from the mistakes of others. Don't make mistake. 😂

I haven't been to the dentist since I was a kid.. originally humans have 6 or was it 8 wisdom teeth. But lack of vitamin k gives us underdeveloped jaw lines. Read an article on it. Mine didnt cut till I was 29. One on each side with the top teeth..they came in fine. Problem is they're just barely above the gum line. I have to really get the tooth brush back there to remove food. Dentists scare me..the idea of it..so yeah long time since I went. My teeth woulda been perfectly straight..if I hadn't sucked my thumb till I was ummm...ten 😁my teeth actually look pretty good. My mom got me to quit..if it weren't for her I'd be...bugs bunny 🐇

I haven't been to the dentist since I was a kid.. originally humans have 6 or was it 8 wisdom teeth. But lack of vitamin k gives us underdeveloped jaw lines. Read an article on it. Mine didnt cut till I was 29. One on each side with the top teeth..they came in fine. Problem is they're just barely above the gum line. I have to really get the tooth brush back there to remove food. Dentists scare me..the idea of it..so yeah long time since I went. My teeth woulda been perfectly straight..if I hadn't sucked my thumb till I was ummm...ten 😁my teeth actually look pretty good. My mom got me to quit..if it weren't for her I'd be...bugs bunny 🐇
Gosh, I sucked my thumb for a long time too! Ended up with 8 years of orthodontics.

Back
Top Bottom