Have your chickens ever eaten screws????

She is doing so well!!!! She started giving me eggs again in mid January ;). Fattened up like she was before the incident.
I'm so glad that I pay close attention to my flocks behavior, and that I was able to notice that something wasn't right - fast action is key with chickens! I have the best vet in town, most would have put her down... And of course, this site is the best for all its knowledge and support. I couldn't have gone through this experience without all of you!
Thanks so much for thinking about us ;)

Xoxoxo

I'm so glad to hear it!!!

Pretty Girl's screw is still sitting in her gizzard and doesn't seem to be causing her any trouble at all. Fingers crossed she stays that way :)

my chicken swallowed a screw it was one of those self tapping ones it stayed in her system for 3 years not a single problem and for some reason she really loved screws she used to peck at screws that were on a wall and i say was because we killed her and ate her because she was getting to old good luck with your chicken

Only on BYC would I find others who not only had a problem with their chicken swallowing something sharp - but cured them! I was working outside the coop and some how a tack fell to the ground. The chickens (who had been in the run eating a tasty combo of yogurt, grapes, and bread) suddenly appeared and it looks like Pip was the "lucky" winner who snatched the prize away from the others.

Hoping she dropped it I did use a large magnet to try to find the tack. No luck. I didn't think of putting the magnet up to her crop. I'll try that right after I post this.

It was a "Blue Tack;" short, fat tacks used in upholstery. Is this toxic? If so I will operate first thing in the morning. Despite living in a rural community we don't have a vet that knows chickens. Or goats.

My thanks to everyone who posted helpful advice. I can always count on BYC!

Hi LittleSticks,

My Bea had swallowed a push pin originally .... When she stopped eating and going off on her own away for the rest of the flock is when I thought the pin was a problem. A week later the X-ray came back with much worse then the push pin... She had swallowed a toxic ignighter (from a shot gun shell). A very small pellet size ball. It was so toxic that it was killing her ever so slowly. I have NO idea where she could have picked this thing up...I had to travel 45 minutes to find a vet that would work on poultry (I would travel two hours one way if I had to...).

Anyway! All is well with Bea today...and yes, the helpful advise from others here on BYC is such a comfort. Please keep us posted on your girl!

Yea it was in her gizzard for a while and nothing was wrong with her we found it after we culled her

Back
Top Bottom