Hawk attack debrief

I'd keep those birds inside their safe space for ten days, at least, or longer, because that hawk will probably return.
Actually I'm glad you didn't have your dog kill it, those raptors are beautiful!
We had a Cooper's hawk visit yesterday, she got nobody, fortunately, and our birds are locked in for at least another week. Our big rooster had them all in the tree line, bless him!
Mary
yeah, I’m not planning on letting them out anytime soon! Of course my Rhodies were already begging to be let back out when I checked on them 😂

I’m pretty sure this was a young Cooper’s hawk (granted, I wasn’t thinking about identification at the time). My rooster is small but don‘t tell him that! I’m quite proud of him, he was putting up a fight. Also proud of the dog, he isn’t chicken trained. The fact that he went straight to the hawk instead of “anything that moves”, surprised me. They are beautiful birds, but not when they are inside my run 😅 He had the time to kill it while I secured the coop, and I wouldn’t have mourned if the dog did the deed, but I wasnt going to encourage it either

Pretty sure that Hawk will be back... They are relentless.
I am on my 3rd week from a 3 chicken fatal, 2 Hawk at one time attack. First time in over 6 years...
They have been back every day since, even with me outside in plain sight...
That's def relentless! I'm sorry for your losses as well as your continued troubles. Holy moly!

Our State laws STRICTLY protect raptors.
I did make several life like scarecrows. Placed them strategiclly?? around the coop area... They dont care.
We think there are 2 separate families, one on each side of the property.
Luckily, I am ever aware and listening to the other wild birds around here...
The crows are always on high alert and I know crows can be a danger, but I keep them in treats because they help me know if those hawks are close.. There are also some feirce Blue Jays that are loud as heck in our front yard. They are also a great alerting birds.
OH...
I forgot to mention my 2 grown Peafowl roaming around... The hawks wont get too close with JoJo and Janis on the coop side of the property, but will get close when the peas are on the other side...

Our State laws STRICTLY protect raptors.
I did make several life like scarecrows. Placed them strategiclly?? around the coop area... They dont care.
We think there are 2 separate families, one on each side of the property.
Luckily, I am ever aware and listening to the other wild birds around here...
The crows are always on high alert and I know crows can be a danger, but I keep them in treats because they help me know if those hawks are close.. There are also some feirce Blue Jays that are loud as heck in our front yard. They are also a great alerting birds.
OH...
I forgot to mention my 2 grown Peafowl roaming around... The hawks wont get too close with JoJo and Janis on the coop side of the property, but will get close when the peas are on the other side...
That's crazy! Here's to hoping they move on soon.

Pretty sure that Hawk will be back... They are relentless.
I am on my 3rd week from a 3 chicken fatal, 2 Hawk at one time attack. First time in over 6 years...
They have been back every day since, even with me outside in plain sight...
Wow! I didn't know they would team up...

I haven't seen it since this attack, but I haven't let them out either. I did notice a neighbor (loose term, they are about a mile down the road from me), has been letting their chickens free range every day recently, and they have NO cover, not even a shrub on the property. I don't know how they aren't losing their birds!

We do have many crows in our area. They've never bothered with my chickens, although when they were chicks I used to bring them "outside to play" in our run, and the crows would circle then even with me in the run with them. Once we covered the run it was no longer an issue.

A small rooster is no match for a hungry hawk with talons. I hope for his sake he doesn't do something stupid like try to fight it lol Once the hawk has moved on it should be safe to turn them all loose again. The dogs look absolutely awesome in the photo!

We've had hawk attacks, especially in late fall and winter. I only let my birds free range when I'm out there in the spring and summer. A hawk went after my chickens when my daughter and I were standing right there with them. No fear of us. They are tenacious. It came back after that for several days. Unfortunately, there are several families around here with nests so I have to really watch. I did see someone suggest one of those big wiggly inflatable dudes (see photo below) to deter hawks and keep chickens safe. I'd love to try it, but I'm afraid it is going to scare my sheep.
wigglydude.jpg

Back
Top Bottom