Hawk deterrent

There are many solutions to hawks. You can put mirrors on top of the coop, old dvds, streamers, or a fake owl or hawk.
Those may or may not work though. The hawk may decide he isn’t afraid of them, or he may be at first, but then gets over it.
A good protecting dog that’s good with birds such as a collie or great pyre are awesome to have around. Collies are the number one best dog with birds and mine didn’t even have to be trained to leave the chickens alone. He loves them and is very friendly to them, and he keeps big birds away.
Another option is a rooster. I have a columbian rock rooster named Napoleon. He is absolutely vicious, I am the only one who can go into the pen. Luckily he and I have a bit of an understanding and he won’t attack me, but he will attack anything else that goes into that pen. He has fought off hawks three times and he goes after my collie (who never goes in the pen when he’s out, but the collie loves to play with him, which is not the roosters idea of playing) which gives me confidence that he would give it his best if there ever is a dog attack on the flock. However there are cons with a rooster that fights off hawks. Often the best protecting roosters are mean to people as well as predators. He can’t tell the difference, but if you can assert dominance over him, a rooster is a great option.

Every one of my chickens is jet black. It has not stopped any hawk attacks that I am aware of. Roosters..... I have a couple. They are average aggressive. Some Roosters will sacrifice their own lives to save the hens, but actually defeating the hawk is less likely. My good sized Black Copper Cock was entangled with a hawk once... he saved the hens.... but he was losing the fight till I showed up. Defeating a hawk... Some Roos surely could, but most could not.

I had visits from hawks before. The first time my chickens ran under the deck. The second time they were in a covered dog cage. I have them in a bigger area with bird netting covering the area. It has worked on keeping wild birds out and the local squirrels.

We have swamp potholes that are nesting grounds for wild wood ducks and mallard ducks. Traditionally every year BC (Before chickens) we had hawks harrassing the nesting pairs. So they were a concern. At first I don't think they knew what to make of my flock. But as they watched and years have gone by I'm certain I have lost a 3 week Welsummer chick and then days later my broody silkie to a hawk. We had Juvenile Bald Eagle take a hen as well before that. There are concussion guns that shoot rounds that make a booming sound. I believe they are allowed on migratory birds (like geese in cornfields) to send them flying off. These are a pretty penny because of the shipping of the booming shells. IDK. May only be allowed for geese and not a raptor problem.

My yard is comprised of strips of open lawn and woods and these pot holes. There is alot of blackberry bramble on the edge. Which is great for cover. I heard the predator call coming from my NH rooster once and found he and my hens pinned down under the blackberries and just then a hawk flew off up above as I was checking on the commotion. But that Roo was smart enough to know those black berry bushes would work.

The dog is outside alot and can be where we live. I know she has been HUGE in making my yard safe. She's labrador. Territorial. A barker. Trained as a pup to be with the chickens. But still hunt with DH. But like many others she is in at night and these critters get to know our patterns. And we like having her with us so we're kind of sorta getting some use out of her.

I do believe in black birds, partridge birds also...that camo up in the woods. I like picnic tables in the middle of the yard. Strategic plantings. The boat Trailer or a RV are all places my birds shade and preen during the summer and keep cover. (We are a snow state in the winter so they have a covered run)

I was looking at the cover photo for this article on the carousel. I'm reminded that at Fleet Farm there are Crow/Raven decoys for sale. I wonder if you put those on the roof of your coop, or up in some trees if they would provide deterant. I'm going to try that this spring when the snow melts and the birds come out of the run.

My red jungle fowl rooster is a great protector. I had hawks try to come after my hens before I got him, but now he gets them inside everytime a hawk comes near, then he raises heck while standing in the doorway. I know he will fight anything that comes after his girls, because I've seen him go after a playful beagle when she ran too close. She wasn't after the hens but he didn't like her running back and forth past them and jumped in her face. Red tails never come close to my pen, even though I see them high overhead doing their mating calls. Cooper's hawks are all that have made a dive at them.

The best hawk deterrent is a local flock of large crows, they hate hawks and will go after them with a vengeance.

The best method of preventing problems is to keep your birds in a covered pen.

Everything else you have to repeatedly move.
You are right about that! I always listen out for the crows....if they start cawing up a storm I run out to check out what's going on and usually there are a couple of hawks riding the thermals above the property.....they have also signaled to me that there's a fox in the area, Ive learned to tell "why" they are cawing.... ;) You lose enough girls, you figure it out.... <3

The redtails and swainson hawks are very plentiful here. Swainsons follow when mowing pasture ond sometimes my yard. They dont bother the chickens but are huge. One redtail tried to get my chickens but i had planted large growing shrubs around shop, house, and yard for shade in 100 degree days. The chickens hang out in these and had trails in a big eroeion rose bush. He went under it but couldnt catch chickens. These redtails here are flighty and take off when we go outside. Swainson hawks pay little attention. Chickens use the large shrubs and deck whenever they feel threatened. Dont have many tall trees on this blackland prairie but do sit on barn and house some. Providing cover, even like a picnic table could help.

I have hawks and eagles as well. I keep guinea fowl with my chickens. When they spot an over head threat, they sound the alarm and the chickens run for cover and the predator moves away.

The best hawk deterrent is a local flock of large crows, they hate hawks and will go after them with a vengeance.

The best method of preventing problems is to keep your birds in a covered pen.

Everything else you have to repeatedly move.
I have also noticed that when I have a flock of crows around the hawks are not nearly as bad, I put out corn for crows, to keep them around. I live in woods so they nest in tall pine trees in front of my house.

Back
Top Bottom