Hawk prevention for electric netting

LazyOakes

Chirping
11 Years
Jul 5, 2012
Southampton, MA
I have been using electric net fencing (100') successfully for many years and would rarely lose chickens to hawks, but in the last year, a pair of red shouldered hawks moved in and they are causing a major problem. I had too many attacks last season and ended up keeping the chickens inside for the rest of the fall and winter (they have a very large covered run plus a large coop). The first day I let them out this spring, a hawk came down and attacked. The second time I thought they would be safe if I was out there with them, but no, a hawk came down 15 feet from me and tried to get a hen.

Has anyone successfully deterred hawks in such a large area? I considered using bird netting, but it is an awfully large space to put it up in and I am not sure how I would secure it without having a lot of posts going around the fencing and that defeats the purpose of being able to regularly move the fencing (I like the chickens to have fresh grass periodically).

The chickens technically have enough room in their run, but I feel bad not letting them have the extra space and access to fresh grass and bugs.

I have been using electric net fencing (100') successfully for many years and would rarely lose chickens to hawks, but in the last year, a pair of red shouldered hawks moved in and they are causing a major problem. I had too many attacks last season and ended up keeping the chickens inside for the rest of the fall and winter (they have a very large covered run plus a large coop). The first day I let them out this spring, a hawk came down and attacked. The second time I thought they would be safe if I was out there with them, but no, a hawk came down 15 feet from me and tried to get a hen.

Has anyone successfully deterred hawks in such a large area? I considered using bird netting, but it is an awfully large space to put it up in and I am not sure how I would secure it without having a lot of posts going around the fencing and that defeats the purpose of being able to regularly move the fencing (I like the chickens to have fresh grass periodically).

The chickens technically have enough room in their run, but I feel bad not letting them have the extra space and access to fresh grass and bugs.
Wow they are brazen to come so close to you.

We have guy wires from our 125' tower that keeps them out of the main area of our yard, then use giant wind spinners in the other areas.

I've heard of using heavy fishing line, like 20# or higher and string that in crisscrosses well above your head, as that will confuse them, much like our guy wires do.

Suggestions from the Facebook group BYC:
Hanging or posting deterrents such as cds, reflective items, shiny spinny things (pinwheels), parade float fringe, windsocks.

Random deterrents such as guard dogs, making some hiding places with slant boards; like a lean to for them to duck under, statues (owl, crow or geese and move occ), heard they hate neon and fluorescent things and the neatest I saw was a freestanding bird kite on a pole.

Hope these help.

In case it helps anyone in the future, what I ended up doing was buying aviary netting and draping it over the top of the fence, holding it up with 6' t posts. It doesn't look pretty, but it should at least keep the chickens safe. It won't be easy to move the whole setup as I attached one side of the netting to the side of the coop, but at least everyone can get outside now.

IMG_0269.jpg

Back
Top Bottom