Head Twitch

Deerling

Songster
6 Years
Feb 5, 2013
King County, WA
Hello!

I noticed that a lot of the chicks I hatched on April 13th are doing the really fast head twitch. They do it frequently. I know this is common with Silkies or other crested breeds, and a few of them are, but most are non-crested barnyard mixes. The silkies are a little older and did live with a mama in a coop, so I suppose it's possible they brought something in. I have checked them for signs of mites and not seen any, and I have never heard a sneeze or seen any signs of respritory problems... I'm just not sure what to do. I am not planning on keeping many of these (there are 16 (I am keeping the silkies, though)) so I want to make sure they're healthy before I let them leave.

ETA: I haven't seen signs of mites, but is there something really specific I should look for? I've never dealt with mites before. And if I should try treating them for mites what would you use?

They were living in kind of nasty bedding - I didn't realize it was super wet under the top layer for a few days and it was really gross when I cleaned it out. That has been taken care of, but they were doing it before then. Just thought I would mention it.

Last edited:
Hello!

I noticed that a lot of the chicks I hatched on April 13th are doing the really fast head twitch. They do it frequently. I know this is common with Silkies or other crested breeds, and a few of them are, but most are non-crested barnyard mixes. The silkies are a little older and did live with a mama in a coop, so I suppose it's possible they brought something in. I have checked them for signs of mites and not seen any, and I have never heard a sneeze or seen any signs of respritory problems... I'm just not sure what to do. I am not planning on keeping many of these (there are 16 (I am keeping the silkies, though)) so I want to make sure they're healthy before I let them leave.

ETA: I haven't seen signs of mites, but is there something really specific I should look for? I've never dealt with mites before. And if I should try treating them for mites what would you use?

They were living in kind of nasty bedding - I didn't realize it was super wet under the top layer for a few days and it was really gross when I cleaned it out. That has been taken care of, but they were doing it before then. Just thought I would mention it.

Hi Jordan!

Went looking for you and found this. Sorry no one responded.

My HRIRs did that too--They stopped after a couple of weeks. I wold try giving them vitamins and pro biotics.

How are you doing?

Quote: Hi Ron! Thanks for the reply :) They do seemed to have stopped, for the most part. I wondered if they could have picked it up as a habit from the Silkies. Sadly we lost a silkie, a little rooster and two of our big girls to a coyote. They are staying inside right now and we just bought a .22 LR and a big trap. We've seen the coyote or lost a chicken every single day for a week.

I haven't been around much! I'm trying to stay off the computer and do more with the kids. I have a hard time with regulating my computer time, so it's become a "not during the day" type of thing for me, for the most part. How are you?

Hi Ron! Thanks for the reply :) They do seemed to have stopped, for the most part. I wondered if they could have picked it up as a habit from the Silkies. Sadly we lost a silkie, a little rooster and two of our big girls to a coyote. They are staying inside right now and we just bought a .22 LR and a big trap. We've seen the coyote or lost a chicken every single day for a week.

I haven't been around much! I'm trying to stay off the computer and do more with the kids. I have a hard time with regulating my computer time, so it's become a "not during the day" type of thing for me, for the most part. How are you?

I am a little sick tonight--fever of 10.8 and a cough.

I lost a chicken to the heat--just to be safe I sent her in for Necropsy. I am happy they quit shaking the heads. I think is is a B vitamin problem. Medicated feed can remove niacin from them.

Back
Top Bottom