Heat lamp for baby ducks?

sandy sea

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Rogersville MO
I picked up two baby ducks today. They are in a dog crate in the house. I picked up a 100 watt heat lamp for them, red, will that be warm enough? The heat lamp that I used to use on the chicks burned out not sure what watt that was. Do the baby duxks really need a heat lamp in the house?

they should definatly have the lamp good job so far and my lamp burned out to but by that time they didnt need it
lol.png
keep up good work
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
That should be plenty good for them. I had a black reptile type light bulb on my wood duck ducklings because they were in my room and i cant stand any light in the room when i am sleeping, they did fine under it. Ducklings appear to be hardier than say, quail chicks and such.

I used a regular desk lamp on mine for the first week after that only if they decided to play in their water and got really wet. They are 11 days old now.

Mine are almost 2 months and I still have a UV heat lamp on them. This is my first time owning any ducks so I'm paranoid about them. Last night was officially the last night of their heat lamp though!

Quote:
My ducklings are almost two weeks old and i shut the heat lamp down during the day now, temps outside are about 75-80 degrees. I watch them and if they are on the otherside of my 6' long brooder i shut it off, then i turn it back on for the night.

Once they start to feather out i pull the light all together, its time to acclimate them to the weather.

Last edited:
A question for cawoodduck (or anyone else with wood duck experience):

I rescued wood duck eggs from a collapsed rotten tree, and I now have two young ducks that hatched out on May 24. The ducks are now getting too big for their tub so I am sending them off to a friend's farm tomorrow. They've been in my basement with a heat lamp on since they hatched out. Do you think they can go without the heat lamp once they're out on the farm? Nighttime temps will be in the 60's. Also, when do you think we can start giving them dry food? They've been eating mush, and I tried giving them dry chick food a couple days ago and they pretty much ignored it.

Thanks in advance!

IAtodd

BTW, any tips on diet supplements are welcome. Thus far they've only eaten baby duck feed, lettuce, and radish sprouts.

My ducklings are almost two weeks old and i shut the heat lamp down during the day now, temps outside are about 75-80 degrees. I watch them and if they are on the otherside of my 6' long  brooder i shut it off, then i turn it back on for the night.

Once they start to feather out i pull the light all together, its time to acclimate them to the weather.

I live in east Texas & this is my first time owning baby ducks. I have them outside under a dog house in a crate with a lid & heat lamp. I'm not sure if they should be under the lamp all day? & if during the day I should leave the lamp off ? I'm kinda scared to turn it off because they are not in Direct sun light. If any body can help me that would be great!

Back
Top Bottom