Pics

hugitnotnugget

Songster
6 Years
Feb 14, 2016
Upstate NY
So I live in upstate NY and we get cold nights in the winter. Like below 0. So I always heat the coop on cold nights. Even then our bantam roster with huge wattles and a comb gets purple on top. I put Vaseline on sometimes to protect him. He hates it. Anyway.... I’m insulting it his fall but I still need to heat it. I’ve been using heat lamps but they go often and are a pain. I’m terrified of the coop catching fire btw. Any advice on wattages? Because I have not clue on that or what I’ve been buying. Or any other heating ways that are SAFE and effective! Thanks in advance! 😊

Cozy Coop
45A30C8E-1569-49D4-AF37-BFC70651549C.jpeg

I don't know anything about heaters. But it does sound like you need one! Since you are worried about fires, I would be, too, you could put a smoke alarm in your coop. They make ones that can be connected to another alarm in your house, so at least you could run out and save your flock. If you are interested and can't find it I'll get my partner to find a link for the one he bought for me.

My coop is insulated. I’m hoping these heaters with produce just enough heat to keep it above freezing so my water does not freeze. That is the only reason I’m heating the coop. I have a horizontal nipple watering system and am trying these heaters first to see if they will work.
CAE9D6DF-0604-4C53-B520-81C2BB46B2AE.jpeg

I bought myself a down jacket for winter blizzard temperatures. My chickens were born wearing theirs. If chickens aren’t allowed to acclimate to falling temperatures then when it gets frigid they might as well be naked. If power goes out there goes heat. I’m in Northwest NJ well above sea level and get zero and below in deep winter. No heat in my coops just good ventilation without drafts. Even in serious cold they insist to go outside. In 3 year’s I’ve lost one bird...in summer due to a reproduction problem, never in winter. No worries about fires.

I bought myself a down jacket for winter blizzard temperatures. My chickens were born wearing theirs. If chickens aren’t allowed to acclimate to falling temperatures then when it gets frigid they might as well be naked. If power goes out there goes heat. I’m in Northwest NJ well above sea level and get zero and below in deep winter. No heat in my coops just good ventilation without drafts. Even in serious cold they insist to go outside. In 3 year’s I’ve lost one bird...in summer due to a reproduction problem, never in winter. No worries about fires.
What about the purple wattles? I'm not arguing, I genuinely don't know.

I don't use a heater because I'm afraid of fire, but we don't get too cold. And I have ducks.

So I live in upstate NY and we get cold nights in the winter. Like below 0. So I always heat the coop on cold nights. Even then our bantam roster with huge wattles and a comb gets purple on top. I put Vaseline on sometimes to protect him. He hates it. Anyway.... I’m insulting it his fall but I still need to heat it. I’ve been using heat lamps but they go often and are a pain. I’m terrified of the coop catching fire btw. Any advice on wattages? Because I have not clue on that or what I’ve been buying. Or any other heating ways that are SAFE and effective! Thanks in advance! 😊
here are some safer heating solutions for your coop hope this helps!
Option 1 $47
Option 2 $116
if you do get option 2 i would suggest to get the bigger one so that it can heat more chickens

Back
Top Bottom