Heating pad in the coop?

UrbanHenKW123

Songster
Jun 25, 2019
Kitchener - Canada
Hey everyone ! I’m from Canada so we see some pretty cold winters. It’s been mild so we’ve been let off easy. But I see it’s going to dip down into the -20 to -30 in the next couple weeks. I have 3 sex links in a small backyard coop. It’s partially insulated (All the walls and roof minus the big door I have for Cleaning which takes up one big wall). We are expected to get into the -40s in the next couple months. My question is that I’m considering getting a radiant heat pad for the coop. Anyone ever get one of these ? Did you mount it to the coop wall? Just curious what your experience was !

If you are thinking of something like the Cozy Coop flat panel heater...don’t. I think it is mostly useless. Unless a chicken stands right next to it, and I mean practically touching it, they won’t feel anything. It won’t heat an area either.

That said, I have one in my coop that I only turn on when the temps get down below 0. It gives me peace of mind, but I know it isn’t really doing anything.

Last winter, on one of our -35f nights, the temp in the coop was -30f, and that was with the heater on. During the day, it got up to -23f, and the chickens totally ignored the heater. They spent that entire day outside in the run.

Point is, they don’t need it, and mind don’t even acknowledge it’s existence.

I'm interested to hear the different opinions on this one :pop How cold, really is too cold, for our chickens? I would think supplemental heat would be a no brainer at temps of -40...I can't even imagine that kind of cold. It's rare to even get to true 0 here in VA.

Hey everyone ! I’m from Canada so we see some pretty cold winters. It’s been mild so we’ve been let off easy. But I see it’s going to dip down into the -20 to -30 in the next couple weeks. I have 3 sex links in a small backyard coop. It’s partially insulated (All the walls and roof minus the big door I have for Cleaning which takes up one big wall). We are expected to get into the -40s in the next couple months. My question is that I’m considering getting a radiant heat pad for the coop. Anyone ever get one of these ? Did you mount it to the coop wall? Just curious what your experience was !
I don’t think you need that in my opinion, especially since you say you have a small coop. I think they can keep each other warm.

I'm interested to hear the different opinions on this one :pop How cold, really is too cold, for our chickens? I would think supplemental heat would be a no brainer at temps of -40...I can't even imagine that kind of cold. It's rare to even get to true 0 here in VA.
Can’t speak for everyone, but known cold hardy breeds should do fine. Now, where I am, the lowest actual temperature I have experienced with my current flock is -35f, and that was for two nights in a row. My flock are all ISA Browns, and except for some frostbite on their combs and wattles, they did fine. We had plenty more days and nights below zero, and still no heat...except for that cozy coop heater which did nothing, and they ignored.

It’s supposed to be single digits tonight, and they are fine. Two are out in the coop, but I have a third in the indoor infirmary.

Here are two of them:
7ADF6915-DED5-467F-A792-09D62009D7C2.jpeg

If you are thinking of something like the Cozy Coop flat panel heater...don’t. I think it is mostly useless. Unless a chicken stands right next to it, and I mean practically touching it, they won’t feel anything. It won’t heat an area either.

That said, I have one in my coop that I only turn on when the temps get down below 0. It gives me peace of mind, but I know it isn’t really doing anything.

Last winter, on one of our -35f nights, the temp in the coop was -30f, and that was with the heater on. During the day, it got up to -23f, and the chickens totally ignored the heater. They spent that entire day outside in the run.

Point is, they don’t need it, and mind don’t even acknowledge it’s existence.
Oh that’s interesting. Thank you!
Can I ask how many chickens you have? This is definitely a hard decision. There’s so much that says not to heat. But with small flocks it can be considered and in extreme cold. My concern is that I only have 3. And the coop is not fully insulated. So I don’t want to freeze them out. On the other hand they’ve been laying pretty regularly !

Ya that’s exactly it! Its a bit of a unique situation bc of how cold it is up here and it’s a small flock

Back
Top Bottom