HEEEEEEELP! We've been taken over by fleas!

Need to be careful with DE...inhaling it is not good. I think getting rid of the fleas is of upmost importance to the quality of life for everyone involved! I wouldn't waste my time with DE or any of that. Go to the vet and get Trifexis. Problem solved.....

We read online about vacuuming and then using finely ground table salt on the carpets since we couldn't control them. Didn't help that my MIL has a packed house on a farm. We tried it and left the salt down for a week and then did a repeat. While the salt was down we noticed less bites on us and the dogs itching less. My husband even had one jump on him that he was able to catch easy and it seemed to not act right. The salt scratches their bodies and draws the moisture out to kill them. It works on the other stages also except for the cocoons. You need to vacuum those up and repeat the salt. It was the best 89 cents we spent. We did bathe the dogs in Dawn dish soap also.
One problem I came across with the salt was that if it was wet out it dissolved it when walking on it with wet shoes. The fleas started getting bad again after not putting any salt down for a while so we just salted again and already we notice less bites on us.
Red cedar beds are suppose to help repel them since they don't like the smell. I've heard some people soak the chips and then use the water as a spray. One problem with cedar is it can be sensitive to some animals and pets.

Need to be careful with DE...inhaling it is not good. I think getting rid of the fleas is of upmost importance to the quality of life for everyone involved! I wouldn't waste my time with DE or any of that. Go to the vet and get Trifexis. Problem solved.....
I know, it is horrible!
Hello guys!
HI!
Can I join?
Sure! Anyone can!
We read online about vacuuming and then using finely ground table salt on the carpets since we couldn't control them. Didn't help that my MIL has a packed house on a farm. We tried it and left the salt down for a week and then did a repeat. While the salt was down we noticed less bites on us and the dogs itching less. My husband even had one jump on him that he was able to catch easy and it seemed to not act right. The salt scratches their bodies and draws the moisture out to kill them. It works on the other stages also except for the cocoons. You need to vacuum those up and repeat the salt. It was the best 89 cents we spent. We did bathe the dogs in Dawn dish soap also.
One problem I came across with the salt was that if it was wet out it dissolved it when walking on it with wet shoes. The fleas started getting bad again after not putting any salt down for a while so we just salted again and already we notice less bites on us.
Red cedar beds are suppose to help repel them since they don't like the smell. I've heard some people soak the chips and then use the water as a spray. One problem with cedar is it can be sensitive to some animals and pets.
Yea, salt has worked for us so far. They are really gone right now. We will repeate with the salt often, or when they come back. Thanks!

I suggest going to the vet getting comfortis. It works great and fleas start falling off dead within 30 minutes. I have used it and I was amazed after weeks of fighting fleas...I finally got sleep and rid of those pesky critters. Good Luck!!!!

I suggest going to the vet getting comfortis. It works great and fleas start falling off dead within 30 minutes. I have used it and I was amazed after weeks of fighting fleas...I finally got sleep and rid of those pesky critters. Good Luck!!!!
Thanks, right now we are saving $ by using salt and vaccuming a lot. :) thanks again!

I've never heard of comfortis? Is it a drop on or pill? My girlfriend had to get the Capstar pills for all the animals and then used frontline plus. She had pets at vets all day, exterminator did house & still had to come
Back 10 to 14 days later. It was really bad, but I am always looking for more info.
I can't 'touch' the feral cats and they are outside in different colonies, so all I can use for them is DE :( couldn't even get them a pill unless it was first year vax visit then 3yrs later.

I've never heard of comfortis? Is it a drop on or pill? My girlfriend had to get the Capstar pills for all the animals and then used frontline plus. She had pets at vets all day, exterminator did house & still had to come
Back 10 to 14 days later. It was really bad, but I am always looking for more info.
I can't 'touch' the feral cats and they are outside in different colonies, so all I can use for them is DE :( couldn't even get them a pill unless it was first year vax visit then 3yrs later.

Yes comfortis is a pill that last 1 month unlike the capstar that only last one day you can also use it for the cats but at 20 dollars per pill I wouldn't I would use frontline spray or Adams flea and tick mist if you can get close enough to spray the cats

I never heard of the Trifexis. Does that require a script?

I see the Comfortis does and my vet won't give a script without a visit. I just went for an exam and rabies vaccine,and they said nothing about fleas on him. I am sure he has it though.If one does they all do.

Decided to get some capstar and some methoprene drops.Will give it to all the cats and dogs at the same time.Then some more capstar after a few since it is a 24 hour thing.The methoprene should prevent any of the adults from laying eggs if I miss them with the capstar.

I have borax down along the base boards,but maybe I will add the salt too.

I read about the tapeworms from fleas.Debating a combo for tape,hook,and round or getting something just for the tape first. Hmmmm would the wormers used on chickens work? I will probably stick with species specific.

Kind of hard to check the guinea pig,so I am not sure what I will do for her.

Still debating the frontline and Advantage 2. Seems like it is a hit or miss with everything,so I suppose switching it is good idea.Good luck everyone!

Back
Top Bottom