Hello all! No more lurking, looking for breed suggestions.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I would recommend the buff orpington. They are affectionate, docile, curious, great layers, cold hardy and good foragers.

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

I've had orpingtons, and like others said, they're docile and friendly, laid well and I did like them.
However, on two occasions I saw a fox run out from behind the compost bins and grab one before the chicken knew what was happening. Luckily I was there and able to chase it off. Everyone has different desires and management methods. I much prefer a more wary/alert breed I can let free range and not worry about them.
All these calm, friendly breeds, especially those with impaired vision like silkies, polish, houdans, etc. can't be allowed to roam without standing out there to protect them all day.
A lap pet chicken is nice until killed by a predator.

ETA
I was just out with my chickens, 3 different flocks of free range birds. I heard the roosters make the aerial predator sound long before I saw anything. The hens all ran for cover and then I saw the hawk swoop through. The roosters just stood their ground and the hawk flew right by. They're all trained not to mess with these roosters.
I've lost meat birds and a Wyandotte pullet to hawks when there was no adult rooster present but I've never lost one of these birds to a hawk since I got them erly 2010.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!

There are many wonderful breeds of chicken. However, I particularly recommend Wyandottes, Australorps, Orpingtons, and Easter Eggers. All of those breeds tend to be hardy, productive egg layers.
Yes I just love my calm cuddly Orpington - and my easter Egger is excellent entertainment. Great birds

Thanks to all of you for the info and the grand welcome! I love talking chickens. I had a great opportunity to attend the Uniontown Poultry Association fall show and speak to a few of the chicken owners in attendance about some of the breeds being shown, and had a GREAT time (despite the fowl weather, or maybe because of?) gathering information. I am so pleased to hear from more of you (the grand chicken owners) about the behavior and temperaments of your chosen breeds. I have scoured the sites many times of the 'selector' sites (thank you for those, too) but really enjoy the personal experiences. Yeah chickens!

Back
Top Bottom