Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

What color is this considered(and if I'm trying to use the genetics calculator which color genes/name should I use?)

I have a lemon blue roo, a chocolate roo and a black breasted red roo and just really not sure what to put her with for variety or to get more chicks like her. =)

What color is this considered(and if I'm trying to use the genetics calculator which color genes/name should I use?)

I have a lemon blue roo, a chocolate roo and a black breasted red roo and just really not sure what to put her with for variety or to get more chicks like her. =)
She is Splash. You could breed her with a Blue to get 50% Blue and 50% Splash chicks, or a Splash to get 100% Splash chicks - though the color tends to wash out over time in Splash to Splash breedings.

If you take her to your Lemon Blue rooster you will have 50% Blue and 50% Splash chicks with some color in their hackles and saddles, but probably not enough color to be correct for a Lemon Blue. If you take her to the BB Red rooster, you will get Black and Blue chicks with some red color in their hackles and saddles, and maybe shoulders - but once again probably not "enough" color because the extended black gene which makes your hen solid colored. If you go with the Chocolate, it's a bit of a gamble. If he is actually genetically Chocolate, which is sex-linked, then your males will be Blue and your females will be kind of a mauve color. If he is "Chocolate" as the result of the dun gene, then about 50% of the chicks will be Blue and 50% will be kind of a khaki color since there would be two dilute genes duking it out.

She is Splash.  You could breed her with a Blue to get 50% Blue and 50% Splash chicks, or a Splash to get 100% Splash chicks - though the color tends to wash out over time in Splash to Splash breedings.

If you take her to your Lemon Blue rooster you will have 50% Blue and 50% Splash chicks with some color in their hackles and saddles, but probably not enough color to be correct for a Lemon Blue.  If you take her to the BB Red rooster, you will get Black and Blue chicks with some red color in their hackles and saddles, and maybe shoulders - but once again probably not "enough" color because the extended black gene which makes your hen solid colored.  If you go with the Chocolate, it's a bit of a gamble.  If he is actually genetically Chocolate, which is sex-linked, then your males will be Blue and your females will be kind of a mauve color.  If he is "Chocolate" as the result of the dun gene, then about 50% of the chicks will be Blue and 50% will be kind of a khaki color since there would be two dilute genes duking it out. 

Thank you for responding! From what ive read in oegb choc is sexlinked but i dont know for sure he is.

Dang it - lost my post somehow.

I need ya'lls help. I purchased 6 straight run bantams which the TSC manager said were BB OEGB's. If that's the case I ended up with 4 Roos and 2 Pullets based on the hens having the dark eyeliner stripes and darker markings.

However - I am not sure these are BB OEGB's. Their feathers don't look the same as pics online. Can you guys give me an idea what you suspect they may be? (feel free to take a stab at gender as well if you like!)

Chick 1 - we *think* Roo...

CHick 2 - we think Pullet...

Those look like they are Silver Duckwing... need more pics to be sure... full side and front shots would be best...

Hi Ravyn - I am attaching some new ones - apologies that they are a little busy - I have two of the suspected Roo's in with my littlest babies as I found they were champs about grooming and comforting them. The funny part is they have been flying to the top of that brooder and keeping watch from the air over the little girls which I think is awesome.

I went online and agree they may be Silver Duckwings or perhaps the Fawn Silver Duckwings I've seen some places. The hatchery that the TSC got them from was Townline - but their website says exactly bupkis about what types of Bantams they are breeding.

Regardless - the little Roos are sweet...

Hi Ravyn - I am attaching some new ones - apologies that they are a little busy - I have two of the suspected Roo's in with my littlest babies as I found they were champs about grooming and comforting them. The funny part is they have been flying to the top of that brooder and keeping watch from the air over the little girls which I think is awesome.

I went online and agree they may be Silver Duckwings or perhaps the Fawn Silver Duckwings I've seen some places. The hatchery that the TSC got them from was Townline - but their website says exactly bupkis about what types of Bantams they are breeding.

Regardless - the little Roos are sweet...

Yep, SDW... and roos... the solid black feathers coming in on the chest are the giveaway... pullets would be gray stippled on the chest... not Fawn DW, that would be very, very lighter colored markings in the chick down... adorable little guys and they are super sweet!

I was wondering what color this roo is considered and also I have some black tailed wheaten hens he is in the pin with and I was wondering what color he would throw with those hens

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom