Hello BackYard Chickens members!

Birdsonghill

Crowing
Feb 1, 2021
West Tennessee
I am a Semi retired jack of all trades, master of none, great grandfather and husband. I have been gardening and raising chickens more than 45 years. I have lived on my current mini farm for 26 years, raising organic crops, sheep , goats, and a horse or two. I got sick a few years ago and had to retire, sell off my livestock, and I let my chickens go too. However, I soon recovered a good bit , and now I am restarting my chicken hobby! I am a lot poorer now than in my earlier days, so both economy and return on my investments/labor are important. I missed having my chickens more than any of the other stock! The eggs and an occasional chicken dinner,were awesome, but the manure laden litter was my gold! The animals droppings/litter made my gardens large compost needs work! The "Hot" coop waste added to large volumes of leaves, trimmings and etc. made the time for finished and rich compost much faster! I am excited to begin again, and have repurposed an old pasture shelter into a new coop, as the old one was badly dilapidated. Also , I am mentoring a young man, who is interested in organic gardening and chickens,etc. ! I let him join me in this new project. I have ordered Buff Orpingtons, Whiting Blues, Black Minorcas, Welsummers and a couple of Partridge Cochins. I do have a seperate small enclosed pen/run 10 ft x 10 ft , with a tiny house for a few birds and the new house is 10ft x10ft with a 10ft x 12ft covered run and open underneath the house for 100 sq.ft. more area. I have Welsummers roosters coming and Orpington roosters as well. The others are just to lay eggs, sit and/ or look at! If time, energy and money line up, I will build a chicken tractor set up or two and may raise more birds. I plan less long range now, but still hope to have several more good years enjoying my life here on my homestead.

FBD19223-88D1-4D0B-8D35-C37CE5EEA9FB.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom