Hello everyone

koko365

Songster
9 Years
May 12, 2015
Florida
I have been visiting this site (found thru Google) for 2 or 3 years maybe now. I've just been a lurker listening in sometimes. I grew up in a large city where chickens were out of the question, but my parents did get me a dozen small chicks one year at Easter-time and I kept them until they started getting too big.

I don't own any chickens now, but I do have three free range chickens that keep visiting my backyard and my landlord actually suggested that I build a coop. I'm not sure if the two hens and one rooster might actually belong to another person who lives around the block from me or not. I live in a small city in Florida and there are parts of the city where there seem to be many free-ranging chickens....so, I'm just not sure if these three belong to someone or if they just happened by and have decided to stay in my backyard now for about a month. They sleep in a tree in a corner of the yard - the same corner where my landlord suggested I build a coop.

I have no idea what breed of chickens they might be. I own a couple of large parrots and when I clean my pet bird cages, I always toss out their spilt bird food that is uneaten into the yard for the blue jays and squirrels...so I assume this is what has attracted the chickens to my back yard.

Anyway... I own a dog, couple of cats and three indoor pet birds. I'm a female retired US Army veteran that served more than 25 years. My adult daughter also lives with me. I'd love to say hello to others here and get any advice about these chickens and/or about building a coop and/or maybe getting a couple of chicks in the Spring... or just learn what others here think I should do.

I love farm-fresh eggs and always go out of my way to purchase them instead of the nasty-tasting store-varieties... so maybe I'm a wannabe who would LOVE to have fresh eggs daily!

Welcome Koko since you been spying on us so long you know their is lots of help here.
It sounds to me like you have some abandoned chickens. Its possible they are older and you may not get many eggs from them.
On the other hand build a small coop and get a few hens! sounds Like your landlord won't mind. 4 hens should keep you in eggs unless you eat a lot of them.

BYC-Chicken-Greetings.png

hithere.gif
Glad to see you posting again! You should definitely build a coop-- and much bigger than you think you need BECAUSE... keeping chickens is very addicting and you'll probably want to get more the following year... especially after you get used to eating those fresh eggs!

Back
Top Bottom