Hello fellow chicken enthusiasts

Hi! 30 year old Florida lady here 🐊🫡
I’m a long time lurker and recently started posting, I kept forgetting to do an introduction.

I’ve got a flock of silkies & showgirls + one australorp, and one silkie x bantam cochin cross house chicken roo.
Silkies are my favorite, I enjoy reading about their genetics and seeing various crosses people create with them.
I also have recently acquired an obsession with ornamental ducks and I’d love to get some one day in the (distant) future.

My other pets include a dog, cats and two buns. I like painting, gardening, long walks on the beach.. 🤣
Not sure what else to say so I’ll leave it at that and include a couple photos of my favorite birds: Raindrop, Marshmallow, and Jpeg (the house chicken while he was having some outdoors time) View attachment 3673235View attachment 3673236View attachment 3673240
Welcome to BYC!! Beautiful girls! ❤️

Hiya, and welcome to BYC!! :frow I love your birds! I too raise silkies but just can't get into the naked necks. To me, they have a face only a mother could love, :oops: but that's just me. They're still precious though all the same. 😊

You mention you're into genetics. For color genetics, here's a link I use to help me know what color chicks I'll wind up with.

Hiya, and welcome to BYC!! :frow I love your birds! I too raise silkies but just can't get into the naked necks. To me, they have a face only a mother could love, :oops: but that's just me. They're still precious though all the same. 😊

You mention you're into genetics. For color genetics, here's a link I use to help me know what color chicks I'll wind up with.
LOL 🤣 I don’t think your point of view on them is too uncommon. What can I say I am their mother and I think they’re just adorable, but that checks out doesn’t it 😂

Thanks for the link I shall check it out! 😊

LOL 🤣 I don’t think your point of view on them is too uncommon. What can I say I am their mother and I think they’re just adorable, but that checks out doesn’t it 😂

Thanks for the link I shall check it out! 😊
Truth be known, I am the mother of one. 😲

About 4 weeks ago my breeder messaged desperate to get rid of some fancy silkie eggs so we traveled an hour to buy some at half price. I got ahold of someone else that said she'd take a few of the chicks, so I was relieved as we generally don't hatch in the winter.

When they hatched a few days ago, I was shocked. I never saw a naked neck at my breeders' so didn't have a clue. I contacted the gal who agreed to a few and she was elated and promised me to save that naked neck for her. Oh, that's no problem! So, it worked out well. 😊 See how it looks so forlorn? I give it the same amount of loving as the others but it must know deep down, I don't want it. I'll try harder.

chicks 11-1-23.jpg

Back
Top Bottom