Hello fellow chicken lovers!

HawllyHawk

In the Brooder
Jan 10, 2024
Hello everybody! I’m Riley, and about eight years ago now I commandeered my family’s backyard to start raising all the wackiest chickens I could find!

While my current flock of twelve birds isn’t quite as funky as my initial batch of chickens I’ve still got a fun mix of various types of Easter egger and olive egger as well as faverolles/faverolles mixes, a lovely Wyandotte, and a couple of splash marans. In the past I’ve also worked with silkies and various silkie crosses, a few frizzles, and many a bizarre barnyard mix.

As with many folks I started keeping chickens for nice organic eggs in pretty colors, but while I will always enjoy a rainbow of fresh eggs from my own coop I really just love the experience of owning chickens and I hope to start some fun breeding projects once I have some more space!

Other than being a chicken keeper I’m also an avid gardener, something akin to an artist, a somewhat experienced aquarist, a lover of all sorts of houseplants and terrariums, and what I can only describe as a fancy insect breeder.

Being 19 I’m currently still living at home and working as a freelance artist in my community, though I’m trying to get certified as a real estate agent! I or more accurately my family has about a million other pets including several lovely cats, a pair of rescue husky mixes, various fish, and vampire crabs (look them up they’re super cool)!

BYC has more often than not been the only good source of info on poultry when I’ve googled my questions, I’ve been sort of lurking on here for five years or so but decided to finally make an account now that I’m a more experienced and knowledgeable chicken keeper! I’d love to learn from other folks on here and share my knowledge!

Hello everybody! I’m Riley, and about eight years ago now I commandeered my family’s backyard to start raising all the wackiest chickens I could find!

While my current flock of twelve birds isn’t quite as funky as my initial batch of chickens I’ve still got a fun mix of various types of Easter egger and olive egger as well as faverolles/faverolles mixes, a lovely Wyandotte, and a couple of splash marans. In the past I’ve also worked with silkies and various silkie crosses, a few frizzles, and many a bizarre barnyard mix.

As with many folks I started keeping chickens for nice organic eggs in pretty colors, but while I will always enjoy a rainbow of fresh eggs from my own coop I really just love the experience of owning chickens and I hope to start some fun breeding projects once I have some more space!

Other than being a chicken keeper I’m also an avid gardener, something akin to an artist, a somewhat experienced aquarist, a lover of all sorts of houseplants and terrariums, and what I can only describe as a fancy insect breeder.

Being 19 I’m currently still living at home and working as a freelance artist in my community, though I’m trying to get certified as a real estate agent! I or more accurately my family has about a million other pets including several lovely cats, a pair of rescue husky mixes, various fish, and vampire crabs (look them up they’re super cool)!

BYC has more often than not been the only good source of info on poultry when I’ve googled my questions, I’ve been sort of lurking on here for five years or so but decided to finally make an account now that I’m a more experienced and knowledgeable chicken keeper! I’d love to learn from other folks on here and share my knowledge!

Since I forgot to add photos to the original post, here’s a few of my favorite recent-ish pictures of my birds!

Attachments

• IMG_8625.jpeg
    IMG_8625.jpeg
    523.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8623.jpeg
    IMG_8623.jpeg
    571.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8618.jpeg
    IMG_8618.jpeg
    555.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8566.jpeg
    IMG_8566.jpeg