CVB30

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2019
Mesa, AZ
Hello, I’m Chris currently living in Mesa, AZ with my wife Miranda and 2 1/2 yr old Elliot Rose. We have been talking about starting a backyard mini flock and garden for years now. Our daughter pushed us over the edge a few months ago when she fell in love with chicks at the local feed store that we buy our dog food from. So after more research and planning we finally took the plunge this past weekend and purchased two Black Australorp chicks, Bree and Kai (Elliot named them ). With the help of our friends at our local feed store here in Mesa we have been off to a great start, and are currently getting a coop and run built. We joined the group after most of our google searches over the past few months in preparation have lead us here many times for pointers and tips. We are looking to connect with local chicken raisers who can give us some pointers and just really looking to learn as much as possible as we navigate this new process. Look forward to interacting with this group and sharing our progress!

Thanks,

Chris B

glitter-color.gif

Congrats on your new chicks! I just got 2 littles ones a little over a week ago... an Olive Egger (Mocha) and a Copper Marans cross (Jelly Bean). They had their first field trip outside yesterday, and tomorrow (maybe) they'll be moving to the coop with my older girls. I have it set up with a brooder so they can become integrated with my small backyard flock easier. Last year, my new babies were roosting with the older hens by 4-5 weeks... hoping for the same this year.
20190416_162516.jpg

I'm sure you'll really enjoy raising your own chickens. Here's a few links you may helpful:
Mama Heating Pad
How Much Room Do Chickens Need
Chicken Coop Ventilation - Go Out There And Cut More Holes In Your Coop!
Predator Proofing

Best wishes in your new adventure!
chickie-.gif
chickie-.gif

Hi Chris and welcome to BYC and congrats on your new hobby.

Here are some links to key resources:

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Back
Top Bottom