Hello from Shay!

ShayKayTay

In the Brooder
May 6, 2024
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I had chickens growing up as a youngster. I am now 55 years old and inherited a small flock from my daughter. She actually bought them, took them home, and hubby said no! (I think she thought if he saw how cute they were, he’d be ok with it) So, I took them. I had planned to get my own flock soon though! Soooo, it only seemed logical.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I have 10 chickens and a duck. I took the baby duck as a rescue along with a chick that was found together. They are inseparable. I began with 6 chicks (then came the 7th with the duck) and as they got older (16 weeks now) I bought 3 more chickens (laying age) and have just integrated them.

(3) What breeds do you have?
That’s the problem, I didn’t buy them so I’m not totally sure of their breed. I am sure that two are just meat chickens and they have had all kind of problems from babies (Sadly, I think it’s water belly).

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Getting to know all their personalities! Who knew that chickens were soo personable?!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Gardening, camping

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have an inside cat, named Vigilance (also inherited by my daughter that couldn’t afford a pet deposit). We call her Viggie for short. I have had her for 10 years now and she is such a blessing. It’s just me and my husband at home and we work to garden and camp and care for our little fur baby and feathered friends!
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
Every time I google a question, this thread pops up and I have so many questions so thought I’d just join and get to know all of you! I’m looking forward to it!

Hello Shay! nice to meet you. How lovely of you to take the chicks for your daughter ahead of your schedule and isn’t it sweet that you have a duck and chick that are rescue hopefully your duck is a female? Drakes can be a problem around hens once they mature. got any pics yet?

Back
Top Bottom