Hello, I’m Kaly!

Kalyxxiii

In the Brooder
May 2, 2020
New Brunswick, Canada
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I just got chickens for the first time last week.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? We bought 7 day old chicks and have 3 hens on the way tomorrow

(3) What breeds do you have? We’ve got a mix with about 5 or 6 different breeds

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? Our “backyard” chickens are currently in our bathroom in a homemade brooder for the moment haha. I love listening to their little chirps

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Our other hobbies are gardening, composting, seed saving, cooking, and construction

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. We’re a family of four. Myself, my husband and our two daughters. Our goal is to grow enough food for the family this year in our backyard and raise chickens for some fun, eggs and learning experience for the kiddos. Working on being self sustainable in our beach home on 3 acres we just bought!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? NUMEROUS (and I mean nuuuumerous) online searches about EVERYTHING to do with raising chickens, building coops and runs and everything else chickens to make sure we were prepared for our little chicks! Haha

Attachments

• 1FE7D7CE-5B03-4EF9-AC57-B59B54F4FCEA.jpeg
    1FE7D7CE-5B03-4EF9-AC57-B59B54F4FCEA.jpeg
    451 KB · Views: 7
@Kalyxxiii :welcome - A big welcome to the BYC flock!

We're so glad to have you here for starters, and real happy you found BYC while doing your homework on chicken care. You couldn't have picked a better, more helpful place in my opinion. Folks are quick to respond and offer tips and advice based on their experiences- I've saved a few birds by finding info here in past forum topics or by asking myself.

Best of luck to those cute, new chicks! What fun it should be to raise them with your family - do your children enjoy them so far?

You mentioned enjoying gardening and wanting to be self-sufficient = perfect! BYC has a few sister sites you should check out in that case:

• BackYard Herds - great folks who know their herd animals (horses, pigs, cattle, goats, rabbits, bees, you name it)
  • The Easy Garden - get together with a group who loves gardening, flowers, heirloom seeds, composting, and more!
  • Sufficient Self - it's all in the name; if you want to trade ideas or ask questions about self-sufficiency, homesteading, and upcycling check this place out
All in all, a big welcome again to you and we hope you enjoy BYC!

welcomeface.png

-HomesteaderWife's family and flock

Back
Top Bottom