Hello! I'm here for the hen party!

HerdAndHome

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2024
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am a pet sitter and I have cared for other's hens/roos for over 20 years. I want to have my own now. Well on my way! Need food, disease, care tips!
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
First shipment coming 06/24/2024. I am ordering 6. I have a coop and a run, making a dog pen brooder, looking for a reasonable and safe tractor coop...
(3) What breeds do you have?
I am looking to get hens that will do well in a coop. Sadly, I don't have any cover for free range hens and we have some big hawks, owls, a bald eagle and of course the usual furry killer's. I do plan to build chunnels.
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I want to have pet (companion) chickens. I plan to share the eggs with friends and clients. Hens are fun to watch, kind of calming.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I own a business tending animals, so I work. A lot. Every day.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My 86 y/o Dad and I share a house. I guess I am a care taker for him. He's a healthy, spry, strong and mobile 86 y/o though. I am lucky!
We have a 2 y/o Black & Tan Coonhound and a 13 y/o Jackhund.
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
Facebook!

Welcome to BYC. When you say "hens that will do well in a coop", do you mean a coop/run combo? All breeds will need sunshine and fresh air, places to scratch, and of course dirt bathing areas.
You will probably want a heavier breed that doesn't care about wandering and enjoys staying near the feed. Brahmas, favorelles, and orpingtons would be a good breed for this situation. Or, you could alternatively get bantam cochins.
A walkin type run with their coop attached or inside, (like a 10x 10 dog kennel with hardware cloth) would allow you to spend time sitting with, and entertaining them.

Back
Top Bottom