Hello

Ar Los

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 27, 2018
Stockton, California
I've been interested in raising a couple chickens for a few years now. I'd read a little here and there, many times landing here. Last years my resistance to chicken fever was finally overcome. I started researching local laws and finding out about the differences between the breeds. I wanted calm birds, large eggs and often. I didn't want to keep replacing them often. I spent quite a bit of time comparing varius breed to the Black Australorp and nothing else seemed to tick as many of my check boxes:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/australorp.10831/

Long lifespan (less replacing/ less chicks in the house)
Dual-purpose (in case this venture doesn't go well)
Friendly, Easily handled, Calm, Quiet, Docile (looking for a new hobby that is relaxing and trying to be considerate to my neighbors)
Average broodiness (because I want more eggs)
Large brown eggs (found out color doesn't matter, but large means more egg for me)
Productive (among highest average eggs per year, ok maybe I'm greedy aka. more eggs)
No common breed related ailments (lower chance of vet bills or early retirement for the bird)
Hardy (Stockton in California's central valley, not particularly cold, but can get fairly warm)

My next stage of research was where to get them from. I'm cheap, mail order was too expensive for the pair of chickens I wanted when shipping is factored in. None of the feed stores in town seem to even list Australorps. I finally found a Lee's feed in Lockeford, CA (Highly recommend, friendly, patient, helpful staff, and I have been back several times). Their website showed they were planning on receiving some. A couple calls and a little delay from the original expected date and BINGO, they have some that just arrived...OK! be there Saturday.

My daughter picked out one and I picked 3, because Australorps are not sex-linked, and hoped my luck would be better than normal. (Since you're just getting to know me yet, that would be 3-4 roosters, err cockerels). I studied them, looking for alert and healthy, but more hen-like head-down-to-business rather than rooster-like watchful protection. I had brought a cat carrier lined and covered with old bath towels and a sealed mason jar full of hot water tucked under the towels to keep them warm for the trip home.

Once home I set them up in a cage my daughter used to keep a rabbit in (yes, thoroughly cleaned) and started handling them and taking pictures. Hmm, one seems to be very attentive whenever we take the others out. We will just hope for the best for now.

Attachments

• Bernie.jpg
    Bernie.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 4
OK, I guess I should have expected the helpful comments after lurking here for over a year. The pickup date for the chicks was April 22, 2017, so the story is just getting started. I decided it was time to give back some of the knowledge I gleaned from research, trials and tribulations. I tried to edit and add this tidbit in my original post but got an error and lost what I typed.

Thank you for welcoming me into the family :)

Back
Top Bottom