Help, 1Chick hatched 2 days ago 6 Unhatched?

Kirby_Ministeader

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2020
Hello,

I am a newbie and two of my hens have gone broody. Because I wasn't actively watching for this behavior I am unsure when they began sitting on their clutches. I estimated that today is day 21, but two days ago one chick hatched. It is healthy and sitting under mama, but there are still 6 unhatched eggs under her and ten unhatched eggs under my other hen. So I am confused. Have the other 6 failed to hatch or are just late? How long should I wait, or should I candle them again? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

I am a newbie and two of my hens have gone broody. Because I wasn't actively watching for this behavior I am unsure when they began sitting on their clutches. I estimated that today is day 21, but two days ago one chick hatched. It is healthy and sitting under mama, but there are still 6 unhatched eggs under her and ten unhatched eggs under my other hen. So I am confused. Have the other 6 failed to hatch or are just late? How long should I wait, or should I candle them again? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I would keep waiting, you could candle too. I would guess they are just late

Thank you for the reassurance. How long should you wait before I admit defeat - do you think?
Well, since the eggs may be late eggs, I would just end it when you see no development in the eggs, or after 3-4 days, since by that time, the other chick would be too old already, unless you are okay with raising the late chicks yourself

Back
Top Bottom