Help 3 week old Cayuga duckling panting!

RynNightmare

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2022
I have 2 three week old Cayuga ducklings and they both seemed perfectly fine, they eat, drink, swim in the bath, and play. I have recently noticed that one seems to be panting quite often and I know that he isn’t overheating. This morning I noticed the other one panting but she has since stopped and her breathing has gone back to normal. I don’t know what to do and I just want him to be alright. I brought him to an avian vet the other day because his legs have been shaking recently but they took one look at him and said he’s fine.

Are you using a heat source? If so. Do you have an area in their brooder that is cooler so they can cool off?

Is the bedding cedar shavings? If yes, switch to another bedding. The oils on cedar wood can be harmful to birds.

Do they get enough niacin in their diet?

@Aunt Angus
They do have a heat lamp but it hasn’t been on during the day just at night because I was thinking that he was just getting too hot. Their bedding is Pine Shavings from Tractor Supply. They have a probiotic and vitamin supplement in their water with niacin in it as well as nutritional yeast that I mix into their food which also contains niacin

I've been so busy. Haven't been on BYC in a while, so I missed this. Sorry! How us your duckie doing now?
He seems like he’s doing better like maybe he got something in his nose? I’m not really sure because he does seem to be sneezing quite a bit an clearing out his nose in the water when I bathe him. I’m not sure if it’s because these shavings have been dustier than the last bag we bought or if it has something to do with molting. He hasn’t been panting anymore so that’s a good thing.

They do have a heat lamp but it hasn’t been on during the day just at night because I was thinking that he was just getting too hot. Their bedding is Pine Shavings from Tractor Supply. They have a probiotic and vitamin supplement in their water with niacin in it as well as nutritional yeast that I mix into their food which also contains niacin
Glad to hear your duckling is doing better! Would you mind sharing the water supplement you are using? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom