Help! Baby Chick is Sleepy/Refusing to eat?

Disintegration

Songster
Nov 5, 2020
Northwest Arkansas
I'm getting really scared because one of my baby chicks, my silver penciled rock, is acting lethargic. She's very sleepy and isnt eating, even when I isolate her to eat on her own or try to give her food mixed w/ water. She's drinking a lot when I set her in front of the drinker, but she's just so sleepy she doesn't do much on her own.
Today I had all 6 chicks out on my floor pecking at feed that I had scattered for them. I would walk across the room and all the chicks would follow me except for her. She would just stand still and wasn't pecking at food or exploring with the other chicks. This is day 3 of them being home, and she's sortof been like this since the beginning, but at first it seemed like she was just a bit more tired than the others. She had a lot more energy on the first and second days. I could see her eating some food on the first day.

I just gave her a couple drops of dilouted B-12 (Rooster Booster) because I know it can help to give chicks some energy when they're sick. Their water has electrolytes, their food is medicated. I've checked her for pasty butt and she's fine. I don't really know what's going on or what else to do to try to help my chick :(

Sorry if this is a little scattered, I'm pretty scared right now.

The other 5 chicks have gone out from under their brooder heater to eat, and are chriping happily, but my penciled rock is still just sitting under the brooder in an odd standing position, almost rocking back and forth.

And as for temperature, I know the temperature is fine because I have my brooder heater at an angle so that baby chicks can be closer/further away from the heat as needed. Most of them sit close to the edges of the heater and could get warmer/colder if they needed to.

Update: I've been giving her vitamins, and they seemed to make her a little better at first, but shes getting worse again. I'm very worried for her. She's very weak. She can't walk or run like the other chicks do. She stumbles and falls alot. I can tell she's sick with something. Anyone know what I can do to save her? I'm willing to do anything at this point.

Do you check her crop throughout the day to see if there is food in it? Was there food in it last night or tonight?

My chick-saver recipe for when they stopped eating and I see the crop empty at night is hand feeding mashed banana mixed with their baby feed mix. I want to be sure they have food at night going through their digestive system, and monitor the droppings should improve overnight if the crop is empty in the morning.

If on day two there isn't an improvement in her appetite and energy, I would give an antibiotic either amoxicillan or tilosan and continue the hand feed mix.

Do you check her crop throughout the day to see if there is food in it? Was there food in it last night or tonight?

My chick-saver recipe for when they stopped eating and I see the crop empty at night is hand feeding mashed banana mixed with their baby feed mix. I want to be sure they have food at night going through their digestive system, and monitor the droppings should improve overnight if the crop is empty in the morning.

If on day two there isn't an improvement in her appetite and energy, I would give an antibiotic either amoxicillan or tilosan and continue the hand feed mix.
I've been checking all my chicks crops, and she was eating/there was food in it on the first day, then she ate less yesterday, and today she's refusing to eat. her crop feels empty and it has all day, but she just won't eat.

I've got bananas at home, so I would be able to make that for her. How would I hand feed her this? I don't have any syringes or anything. I've tried to get her to drink/eat by using a bottlecap to let her sip/eat from, but now she's beginning to refuse that too.

Around four days old, would you say? This chick, is it smaller than the others? It may be a failure to thrive chick, meaning it may have genetic flaws causing underdeveloped organs. It may not be processing calories efficiently.

First thing to try is to elevate its glucose levels. Do this by making a quarter cup of warm water with a half teaspoon of sugar dissolved in it. Dip the chick's beak to get her drinking it.

At your earliest opportunity, buy some Poultry Nutri-drench usually found at feed stores. Give the chick a couple of undiluted drops in her sugar water, which you can continue for the next two or three days. You can also give the drops directly into the chick's beak. This formula by-passes the liver, which may not metabolize vitamins and gets right into the blood stream.

If these measures revive the chick, then you can start giving it high protein easily digested foods such as crumbled tofu and finely minced boiled egg. When I have a FTT chick, I feed it the special foods right along with the rest of the chicks so it will be inspired to eat. It's okay for the others to eat the special foods.

So, I do not think the chick is sick. It's starving because it's not processing nutrients as it should. The Nutri-drench, sugar water and special protein should give it a boost to catch up to the others unless it's organs are deficient in some manner.

Around four days old, would you say? This chick, is it smaller than the others? It may be a failure to thrive chick, meaning it may have genetic flaws causing underdeveloped organs. It may not be processing calories efficiently.

First thing to try is to elevate its glucose levels. Do this by making a quarter cup of warm water with a half teaspoon of sugar dissolved in it. Dip the chick's beak to get her drinking it.

At your earliest opportunity, buy some Poultry Nutri-drench usually found at feed stores. Give the chick a couple of undiluted drops in her sugar water, which you can continue for the next two or three days. You can also give the drops directly into the chick's beak. This formula by-passes the liver, which may not metabolize vitamins and gets right into the blood stream.

If these measures revive the chick, then you can start giving it high protein easily digested foods such as crumbled tofu and finely minced boiled egg. When I have a FTT chick, I feed it the special foods right along with the rest of the chicks so it will be inspired to eat. It's okay for the others to eat the special foods.

So, I do not think the chick is sick. It's starving because it's not processing nutrients as it should. The Nutri-drench, sugar water and special protein should give it a boost to catch up to the others unless it's organs are deficient in some manner.
She is actually a lot smaller/ lighter than the other chicks. I'll start doing this as soon as I can tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom