Help! Chicken w/gurgling cough&new ducklings and eviction!

Silverlilly1

Chirping
May 2, 2020
Earlier this week we had to cull the smallest chicken, who had become extremely lethargic, runny liquid poop, feathers ruffled, not moving at all and not eating. He was my daughter’s favourite chicken and she was terribly affected by the loss. The little cockerel was a pet to her.

That left us with three chicken hens and two Muscovy hens, one of whom was broody and sitting on her eggs. Now one of the chicken hens (daughter’s second-favourite chicken, ironically) is coughing a gurgly cough. She may also have some fluid exiting her beak. No other symptoms. She is the largest hen, at the top of the chicken pecking order.

And then the eight Muscovy ducklings hatched today.

We’re being evicted and the plan was to sell the three chicken hens and ducklings, and turn the older two ducks into food. I only have until the end of the month to do all this. The landlord is terrible and I could get in trouble for removing anyone from the pen to somewhere else, can’t modify things, and don’t have a carrier or other isolation means. The only building inside is a hen house that won’t stay shut, and would provide no ventilation if I did.

They are in a pen outdoors, about 12x20 feet, these five adult birds and eight new ducklings. The chickens enter a house to sleep at night but we don’t close them in. The duck hen made her nest on the ground near a fence, behind a small metal screen that leans somewhat over her. There may be rats in the pen across the drive from them, who may sneak over at night and steal some of their food. It has been dry (no rain) for at least three weeks here, and the soil is sandy. One of the other chickens was running around with a dead baby bird in her beak last week but my daughter caught her and took away her prize, removing it from the pen.

I have SafeGuard but have no idea what dosage to give day-old ducklings. No way to isolate any birds. The only other things I have are ivermectin, niacin, clarithromycin (which was originally for me), garlic cloves, and electrolytes. Can’t get veterinary medicines here easily without a costly farm visit, and no time to wait for results of tests and still do what needs to happen.

How can I fix this and protect the new ducklings (as well as getting the birds on to new places) with the restrictions and resources I have?

Last edited:
if you can, I would recommend selling all the ducklings ASAP and getting rid of the eggs the broody hen is sitting on. If you can’t isolate any of the sick animals, then you will have to plan for them all becoming sick, and without a vet or tests you don’t know with what. Try and keep them hydrated, and wash your hands after touching any of them!

if you can, I would recommend selling all the ducklings ASAP and getting rid of the eggs the broody hen is sitting on. If you can’t isolate any of the sick animals, then you will have to plan for them all becoming sick, and without a vet or tests you don’t know with what. Try and keep them hydrated, and wash your hands after touching any of them!
No more eggs - all hatched into the eight ducklings.

Muscovy are pretty hardy treating the ducklings for something you don't know what you have is risky. I'd place them in your current situation but recommend telling buyers and suggesting quarentining them in their new home. You might want to place the mom with them

Back
Top Bottom