Help! DH needs convincing

ca

Songster
11 Years
Oct 7, 2010
Wickenburg
After having chickens for so long DH told me that he "really does not like to eat chicken"! And it's not that I made him eat the chickens every day, no! Maybe twice a month (I butcher my own chickens). He told me that he had a huge fight with his parents when he was in College because he did not like chicken (funny what you find out after 12+ years together...
th.gif
)
So now I need a recipe that can transform a chicken to either taste like beef or pork. I guess that would work. Anybody have some miracle instructions?
idunno.gif

I love to eat chicken and since we have them, I don't just want to roll over and not serve them anymore. But it needs to be good!!!

Girl, I don't eat read meat or pork, so I make chicken at least 3 times a week! HAhahaha You gotta make it fun or they get sick of it REAL quick!

You'll get lots of great recipes here.
big_smile.png

I had the same problem when DH and I got married. I LOVE chicken....I could eat it every day and never get tired of it. DH said he didn't like it. But I explained to him that beef and pork were way too expensive for us to eat everyday on a regular basis and unless he wanted to eat beans for every meal he might as well get used to eating chicken. I cook chicken usually about 2 X a week now and he has grown to like it.

One way he really loves to eat chicken is smoked. I bought a smoker like this one at Walmart years ago and I use it a lot. It uses a propane burner and you put wood chips in a little box above the burner and it cooks and smokes at the same time. It's easy to use and I love it. They also sell the wood chips at Walmart. You can get different flavors like cherry wood, apple wood, pecan wood, oak, and others.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Char-Broi..._src=14110944&sourceid=1500000000000003260350

Leftover smoked chicken makes the best gumbo you have ever eaten in your life....that is another way DH really likes to eat chicken.

Grandma’s Chicken Gumbo
Make a dark roux with 2 cups of flour and about 1 cup of oil.
(You can buy ready made roux but homemade is the best, if you want to make you own but don't know how...Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the oil and flour into a 5 to 6-quart cast iron Dutch oven and whisk together to combine. Place on the middle shelf of the oven, uncovered, and bake for 1 1/2 hours, whisking 2 to 3 times throughout the cooking process.)

1 gallon of water
1 large hen (an old hen makes the best gumbo)
6 chicken bullion cubes
1 pound of good smoked sausage (Cut into bite size pieces)
1 large onion (Chopped)
1 bell pepper (Chopped)
2 stalks celery (Chopped)
3 tablespoons liquid smoke (leave this out if using smoked meat)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
1 bunch green onions (chopped)
Salt and pepper to taste

Cut the chicken in half and place it in a large stockpot with the water and the rest of the ingredients. Simmer uncovered for a couple of hours, or until chicken is tender, remove the chicken from the pot place it in a bowl and put it in the refrigerator to cool. Turn the fire off under the pot, allow to sit while chicken is cooling, all the fat will rise to the top.

With a large spoon skim fat off the top of the gumbo.

Pick the chicken off the bone and add it back to the pot and heat it through; season with salt and pepper to taste.

You can substitute just about anything for the chicken. Guinea foul and wild game works very well, squirrels, ducks, geese, rabbits, turkey, quail, pheasant, ect. Just make sure to simmer it long enough to get it tender.

Serve over rice in soup bowls.

ChickenGumbo003.jpg

Last edited:
I prefer beef and pork to poultry. I eat poultry only because I raise it myself.

I don't cook chicken plain. It always has some flavorful sauce on it. I cook it with oriental recipes and Indian recipes and Mexican recipes.

If he likes foreign types of food, he would probably eat Tandoori chicken, sweet and sour chicken, shredded chicken tacos. Of course that adds to the cost to buy the spices and fixin's.

I buy beef and pork in large chunks and repackage it. That gets the cost down. But I have to serve duck twice a month or the freezer would soon be overflowing with duck. It's really a shame that my state law will not allow me to sell dressed birds. The licensed butcher charges a small fortune and is a 3 hour drive away, so that's out.

I agree with cutting it up and making "something" out of it. Curry is a personal favorite.

Here is a good recipe. Cube up chicken into whatever size you would like and saute with some diced onion and celery. When that is done dump in tomatoes and herbs or just bottled spaghetti sauce. Simmer til done.

Serve over noodles or rice.

We do a whole chicken, cut in half (butterflied I think is the term) We like to dump our homemade salsa on it..

I also like to cook our chicken in BBQ sauces etc..

How do you cook your pork n beef? Like what cuts do you like? What sauces do you add to it? Could you try taking a fav. recipe of pork or beef and just useing chicken?

Can you grind your chicken up, and make chicken meatloaf etc?

The other day we had beef steak, that was not marinaded, it was aweful..Not texture, it was a nice rib steak, flavor was aweful! This is not the first time, I've been like uh, that was not good with beef.. I'm coming to the conclusion, I don't like plain beef, I need spices and herbs to like it, wether it be hamburger or steak, maybe your hubby likes the spices etc that you use on your beef or pork?

Back
Top Bottom