HELP! Duck foot problem

When they are fully feathered they will have water proofing so that they can be in water. I agree with the need for sunshine and fresh air and out of a basement if all possible and temperatures allow. Not sure where you are located though.
We are in Missouri. We are in the process of making them a predator safe yard and then they will be free. We take them outdoors when we can and have a hard time getting them back inside. Although on Sunday it was near 90 degrees and they walked to the basement door to return to the cooler temps.

We are in Missouri. We are in the process of making them a predator safe yard and then they will be free. We take them outdoors when we can and have a hard time getting them back inside. Although on Sunday it was near 90 degrees and they walked to the basement door to return to the cooler temps.
I would make sure you can put them in a doggie kennel or some sort of temporary pen so that you don't have to worry about getting them back in with some shade and protection of course. I have not let my two week old Runners outside yet and won't until they are closer to 4 weeks and then they will be inside the big pen in a separate enclosure so they can see the other ducks but not get touched by them. They do not care for the heat if they are in direct sunlight. It can give them a heatstroke as they heat up easily. Mine have been without heat now after just one week as they are in a big plastic tub and have a towel and screen over the top to keep the draft off of them. I have uncovered half of the tub with the towel as they are doing fine since they are in the house and the temperature is close to 70 degrees and sometimes a little higher but also sometimes a little lower. I hope yours do fine.

When I let my ducklings enjoy the outdoors I try to set them up in a little fenced area where I can watch them, and make sure they have their food and water, plus access to shade. Also, if you have predators from the sky or otherwise, you must watch them or have a covering on their area.

I would make sure you can put them in a doggie kennel or some sort of temporary pen so that you don't have to worry about getting them back in with some shade and protection of course. I have not let my two week old Runners outside yet and won't until they are closer to 4 weeks and then they will be inside the big pen in a separate enclosure so they can see the other ducks but not get touched by them. They do not care for the heat if they are in direct sunlight. It can give them a heatstroke as they heat up easily. Mine have been without heat now after just one week as they are in a big plastic tub and have a towel and screen over the top to keep the draft off of them. I have uncovered half of the tub with the towel as they are doing fine since they are in the house and the temperature is close to 70 degrees and sometimes a little higher but also sometimes a little lower. I hope yours do fine.
Good to know. The black skin between the ducks toes has disappeared, do you know if it will grow back?

Good to know. The black skin between the ducks toes has disappeared, do you know if it will grow back?
My big Mule Duck just has all dark on her feet now. As she aged it got dark but she never got the red on her face. She also quacks when she is upset and has never vocalized like the Muscovy girls. The boys Hissed though just like the Drake Muscovy does. That was another way I knew they were boys.

Back
Top Bottom