Help! - Eggs Smell Like Rotten Fish

maeboese

Hatching
May 7, 2024
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, as I'm new here, but need help. I have about 23 hens and 2 roos and they're about 1 year old. When they first started laying I was buying a feed store feed and found that their eggs smelt like Sulphur or stinky fish. Long story short, I changed the feed to a blend made by a local farmer and it seemed to help the smell. It's now months later, and we're noticing about 2-4 eggs a day have a raunchy smell to them. There is nothing in their appearance that would alert me to there being anything different.

I know that some of the hens are starting to get a bit broody, but not enough to lay on the eggs for more than 48 hours. I've never had roos before this, so I guess my question is, if they lay fertilized eggs and I let the hens sit on the eggs for the day it's laid, overnight, and the next day, would that egg stink? Otherwise I collect every day, but I was trying to see if some of my broody hens would hatch chicks. If this is the case then I won't let the hens sit on the eggs overnight and force them off the eggs to collect each day.

I sell my eggs, so I would hate for someone to be put-off by the smell of these eggs! Otherwise the other eggs are lovely and healthy.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom