HELP FAST!!!!!

Skipper Carnes

Chirping
Feb 16, 2023
My hen, Dixie, a 2-year-old white leghorn hen has been recently diagnosed with both Cancer and Water Belly. It is horribly sad to watch her suffer the way she does, and I cry every time I think about the pain she is going through. She can barely walk and her comb is so purple. She has had a great life and has free-ranged her entire life, free as a bird to go wherever she chooses. She has had Christmas presents and all, and has lived a happy and quality life, but her time to go to heaven is drawing near, and I am prepared to let go, even though I have done everything in my power to help, she hasn't gotten better. :hit

Does any of you know what medications in the cabinet I can use to humanely euthanize her. I feel it selfish to prolong her suffering, and I want to put her out of her misery and pain. I want to use a pill. I don't want to do any knives, axes, or suffocation methods. I am crying while writing this!

My hen, Dixie, a 2-year-old white leghorn hen has been recently diagnosed with both Cancer and Water Belly. It is horribly sad to watch her suffer the way she does, and I cry every time I think about the pain she is going through. She can barely walk and her comb is so purple. She has had a great life and has free-ranged her entire life, free as a bird to go wherever she chooses. She has had Christmas presents and all, and has lived a happy and quality life, but her time to go to heaven is drawing near, and I am prepared to let go, even though I have done everything in my power to help, she hasn't gotten better. :hit

Does any of you know what medications in the cabinet I can use to humanely euthanize her. I feel it selfish to prolong her suffering, and I want to put her out of her misery and pain. I want to use a pill. I don't want to do any knives, axes, or suffocation methods. I am crying while writing this!
How is she suffering? Can you tell me her symptoms?

I am sorry to hear about your hen. :hugs
Any medication that you might have, would be a bad way for her to die.
Can you take her to a vet to be put down? That might be best, for both her and you.
If you can't, then cervical dislocation is best, if you don't want any blood.
If you can't do it with your hands, have a look at this video.

Dear @Skipper Carnes, here is my best advice: I read a story of a hen that was abandoned on the streets. She was picked up by someone and then brought to a rescue called Free From Harm. She was diagnosed with an extra severe case of Water Belly. But one of her best moments were her last moments... she died with those who loved her around her.

God created Dixie. He put her on this earth with you as her caretaker, the one who loves her, cares for her, feeds her, gives her everything she needs to be happy. Now, should not God be the one who takes her to be with him in heaven? Though she may be suffering, she will die a happy death, one where the one who loves her is with her, who is there with her to the last. Let her die in God's time. Be with her till her very last moment, talk to her, caress and massage her, remember and tell her about your best memories together, and though she may not understand you, tell her you love her. I guarantee you, you and her will not regret having let her die a happy death such as this. I hope that whatever you do, do what you believe is best for her no matter what. I can tell that you love Dixie and that when she passes on from this life to the next, she will always be remembered and cherished. I hope this helps console you and to make the right decision. God Bless. :hugs💚

Dear @Skipper Carnes, here is my best advice: I read a story of a hen that was abandoned on the streets. She was picked up by someone and then brought to a rescue called Free From Harm. She was diagnosed with an extra severe case of Water Belly. But one of her best moments were her last moments... she died with those who loved her around her.

God created Dixie. He put her on this earth with you as her caretaker, the one who loves her, cares for her, feeds her, gives her everything she needs to be happy. Now, should not God be the one who takes her to be with him in heaven? Though she may be suffering, she will die a happy death, one where the one who loves her is with her, who is there with her to the last. Let her die in God's time. Be with her till her very last moment, talk to her, caress and massage her, remember and tell her about your best memories together, and though she may not understand you, tell her you love her. I guarantee you, you and her will not regret having let her die a happy death such as this. I hope that whatever you do, do what you believe is best for her no matter what. I can tell that you love Dixie and that when she passes on from this life to the next, she will always be remembered and cherished. I hope this helps console you and to make the right decision. God Bless. :hugs💚
Your words are very kind and brought tears to my eyes. The only reason I want to put her down is that I don't want her pain to last any longer. I want to ask you to pray hard and with faith that God will work a miracle and heal her little sweet body. I have been praying all day. I love her so much, and she is almost like a sister. I am trying everything I can to help her, and it is exhausting me with stress. Dixie has fought a good fight, and I hope she will heal by a miracle because that is the only thing that will help her at this point. She has not much more energy to fight for her life, so I am fighting for her best I can, but I think it is too late. I really, really, really do not want to euthanize her. It would break my heart more than you would know. Thank you for consoling me. You seem like a good person.

How is she suffering? Can you tell me her symptoms?
Purple comb, inablity to walk very well, squinting eyes, no very much appetite, no vocalizations, dustbathing, or normal chicken behavior. She just lays down most of the time in sadness. PLEASE pray for her to heal. I don't want to euthanize her unless I have too, I would rather God work miracle on her.

Back
Top Bottom