Help! Hen injured by the rest of flock. How can I help her?

Christina Haugen

Hatching
Dec 9, 2017
I've got 11 chickens 9 which are hens. This summer one decided she likes to leave the coop and eat apples under the tree. This got to the point where she just wouldn't stay in the pasture with the other chickens. She lived in the horse barn with the cats until it got to cold and she needed the heat lamp. We closed them into a smaller outdoor run and indoor chicken coop. Harriet went into a separate cage inside the coop to reintroduce her for a week. And then we let her out.

For three days they All seemed to get along, until today I went down and she was beat up on her wings and her bum till they were bloody and she was hiding in the corner. We moved her to a large dog kennel in our basement with straw. I haven't looked into cleaning the wounds yet. I have just let her warm up and rest. After about 6 hours of resting she hasn't had water to used a dropper and she likes that. Wondering if I should clean surface wounds and how long she is going to need to be inside, and when or where is a good place to keep her outside when she is ready. Also if I should ever put her back with the other hens. She is the sweetest hen we have so to see this turn out alright for her. Thanks!

It's important to make sure she's drinking water. She needs to be kept hydrated or she will go into shock.

Yes, you need to clean her wounds with soap and water. If she has a lot of injuries all over, don't be afraid to give her an all-over warm soak in Epsom salt to flush all dirt out of the wounds. Pat her dry with a towel, then blow dry.

The very best and easiest way to treat wounds is to spray them with Vetericyn. You can find it at any feed store. Any serious, larger open wounds need to be kept moist with an antibiotic ointment until closed up.

Any puncture wounds need to be closely watched for infection. You will know a wound is getting infected if you see the skin turning red around the wound.

She will need to be kept separate while she heals, but she will need to be reintegrated as soon as is possible. Below this post is a list of articles I've written. There's one on introducing a single hen into a flock. You might get some pointers from it.

It's important to make sure she's drinking water. She needs to be kept hydrated or she will go into shock.

Yes, you need to clean her wounds with soap and water. If she has a lot of injuries all over, don't be afraid to give her an all-over warm soak in Epsom salt to flush all dirt out of the wounds. Pat her dry with a towel, then blow dry.

The very best and easiest way to treat wounds is to spray them with Vetericyn. You can find it at any feed store. Any serious, larger open wounds need to be kept moist with an antibiotic ointment until closed up.

Any puncture wounds need to be closely watched for infection. You will know a wound is getting infected if you see the skin turning red around the wound.

She will need to be kept separate while she heals, but she will need to be reintegrated as soon as is possible. Below this post is a list of articles I've written. There's one on introducing a single hen into a flock. You might get some pointers from it.

:goodpost:

@Christina Haugen you have received some good advice from @azygous the only thing I will add is to Welcome you to BYC. :welcome

I hope your sweet hen recovers soon.

Back
Top Bottom