HELP, I can't figure out breed this rooster is, i got some eggs out of the hen and not sure I should

reggiehaft

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
I have two cochin bantam hens and I noticed a couple of eggs in their nest and I don't know they are fertile. We got rid of him because he was crowing ALL DAY about 4 days ago. He was trying to mount them all day and some he would end up on top. I am not sure what breed the rooster and I am trying to figure it out to see if it is worth it to hatch them out.

Mother she is a partridge Cochin.

Father

He started looking like these pictures

The mother is the chipmunk looking one

What do you guys think any suggestions. Some one said that he was a game hen, but he doesn't have the correct comb. Do you think that we should give it a try and see what happens.

Your rooster appears to be a mixed breed, possibly a bantam Easter Egger. He is very pretty! If you want chicks, go ahead and hatch some. They won't be pure-bred, as a cross of two different breeds/mixes produces offspring of varying colors and sizes. But if you just want chickens for fun and/or eggs, it doesn't matter whether they are pure-bred.
smile.png

But, if you had to get rid of the rooster because he crowed, what are you going to do with the (average 50%) roosters you hatch out? They're going to crow, too.

When you mix two breeds of birds, you don't get a breed, you get a mixed bird. Also, the father you showed a picture of isn't a breed either, he's mixed himself, so his children will all be mixed as well.

I decided not to hatch out this batch of eggs and ate them instead because I want a certain kind of babies. But now that my hen is still broody, I am going to get some fertile eggs.

I decided not to hatch out this batch of eggs and ate them instead because I want a certain kind of babies. But now that my hen is still broody, I am going to get some fertile eggs.
If you have a certain breed you want to hatch, I've had good luck going into the breed specific threads and asking anyone with hatching eggs to sell me to send me a PM. That way I got my eggs in a couple days (let them sit still pointy side down at least 24 hours before you set them) and was able to get them under my broody more quickly so she didn't have to sit so long. Hatching shipped eggs under a broody works really well. My eggs looked scrambled inside when I got them, but 9 of 12 hatched. That's a much better percentage then in an incubator for shipped eggs.

Back
Top Bottom