Help I don’t know what to do

Littledinostaurs

Chirping
Mar 1, 2023
image.jpg
image.jpg
So this afternoon I came to check on the chickens and I saw something wrong with this chickens eyes and I don’t know what to do is it contagious or what

It looks like she might have or has had conjunctivitis (inflammation of the lining around the eye.) Do you see any bubbles or foam in either eye? Is any gunk forming? Conjunctivitis can be a symptom of a respiratory disease. Is she gasping or having any sneezing or crackles when she breathes? Have you had her long or have you added any new birds to your flock recently? MG is a common cause of conjunctivitis and sinus infection in poultry. It is spread by direct contact with other poultry, on shoes, and by wild birds. Most people close their flocks for the life of their birds, just to prevent the spread. Here is a bit of reading about it:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

She doesn’t seem to have any breathing problems. She has been in the flock for at least 4 month😫 I also don’t see anything forming around her eye she doesn’t seem to be in pain the problem only seems to be in my French copper Maran no other chickens do I need to get rid of them or what

I think it might be the
It looks like she might have or has had conjunctivitis (inflammation of the lining around the eye.) Do you see any bubbles or foam in either eye? Is any gunk forming? Conjunctivitis can be a symptom of a respiratory disease. Is she gasping or having any sneezing or crackles when she breathes? Have you had her long or have you added any new birds to your flock recently? MG is a common cause of conjunctivitis and sinus infection in poultry. It is spread by direct contact with other poultry, on shoes, and by wild birds. Most people close their flocks for the life of their birds, just to prevent the spread. Here is a bit of reading about it:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/2022-04/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf
She doesn’t seem to have any breathing problems. She has been in the flock for at least 4 month😫 I also don’t see anything forming around her eye she doesn’t seem to be in pain the problem only seems to be in my French copper Maran no other chickens do I need to get rid of them or what

It doesn’t sound like she is having any issues at the moment. I just think that may have been what she has had. It is possible that she might have an outbreak sometime in the future. But she also may not have any. You might want to treat with some Tylosin powder in the water for anyone who might become sick with symptoms in the future. Chickens who have had MG can be carriers for life. I personally would not cull my flock if I had a bird who looked like that. But some people who want to breed birds and sell hatching eggs might do that. Here is where to buy Tylosin powder to use in the event of an outbreak:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days, to treat only a bird with symptoms.

It doesn’t sound like she is having any issues at the moment. I just think that may have been what she has had. It is possible that she might have an outbreak sometime in the future. But she also may not have any. You might want to treat with some Tylosin powder in the water for anyone who might become sick with symptoms in the future. Chickens who have had MG can be carriers for life. I personally would not cull my flock if I had a bird who looked like that. But some people who want to breed birds and sell hatching eggs might do that. Here is where to buy Tylosin powder to use in the event of an outbreak:
Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days, to treat only a bird with symptoms.
Would it be best to cull them because I rather not kill my whole flock but I did notice that
would it be best to cull them because I don’t want it to spread though the flock of 50 and I have to kill all of them and have to start over again but I did notice that the nictitating Membrane is what the white thing on one of their eyes was. I’m wanting to sell hatching eggs and chicks do I don’t know whether this will have a affect on that or not

Would it be best to cull them because I rather not kill my whole flock but I did notice that

would it be best to cull them because I don’t want it to spread though the flock of 50 and I have to kill all of them and have to start over again but I did notice that the nictitating Membrane is what the white thing on one of their eyes was. I’m wanting to sell hatching eggs and chicks do I don’t know whether this will have a affect on that or not

It looks like the nictitating membrane because when I go to move their head the membrane moves horizontal covering up the eye perfectly fine could that be a possibility because it look just like the membrane

I would not personally cull a flock of 50 because of one chicken possibly being infected with MG. She seems to not have symptoms. Does she have any bubbles in either eye? I don’t see her nictitating membrane in the pics, just a sunken eye appearance with much of her conjunctiva showing in the corners of the eye. I would wait and see if any others get sick in the future. What state are you in? You could cull the one hen, send her to your state vet for testing and a necropsy, to see if she is positive for MG. Here is a list of state vets to contact for a necropsy, and to discuss this:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

I would not personally cull a flock of 50 because of one chicken possibly being infected with MG. She seems to not have symptoms. Does she have any bubbles in either eye? I don’t see her nictitating membrane in the pics, just a sunken eye appearance with much of her conjunctiva showing in the corners of the eye. I would wait and see if any others get sick in the future. What state are you in? You could cull the one hen, send her to your state vet for testing and a necropsy, to see if she is positive for MG. Here is a list of state vets to contact for a necropsy, and to discuss this:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
No bubbles in the eye and I live in Louisiana should I quarantine them

Back
Top Bottom