Help!!! I love my Cornish x (as a pet). How to keep them healthy?

Borg bird

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2017
Yes, I know...it's a doomed pet. But I'm good at doing the extra leg work for the things I love ( doomed or not).
These 3 Cornish x are almost 3 weeks, and are technically for my sister's ffa project. But, they definitely won't make show.
They have been given a high protein diet and fed 24/7. I want to end this diet tommorow with a healthier diet before they become excessively sumo sized.

My questions are:
What should I feed them? Low protein, high calcium? Is there a brand you recommend?
What vitamins do they need?(( I hear they suffer from heart and bone issues...))

How many times a day? How much each time?

What are some healthy treat?

How can I get them to forage for exercise?

Im definitely smitten! I want to help these guys out and give them the longest life possible. Thank you for reading!!!

You need to limit their feed intake. Let them forage on green lawn or such. Just feed them a feed like Alflock. 18% protein I think. Higher protein means they grow faster. They are by design EATING MACHINES. I had one (long story) and I only keep pets. She went not quite a year. I have heard of some live 1.5 years. Chicken at 9 months was huge like a small turkey.
Photo0609.jpg

AND WELCOME .............:welcome

I agree with cavemanrich.

18% all flock is fine. Set food out twice a day is what some have done. They will vacuum up any feed out, so do not free feed or they will grow morbidly obese. I think it is what they can eat for about 15 minutes? Not sure how much quantity, but you could also measure out what they should eat per day and give no more. A normal bird eats about .25 ponds of feed per day. You may need to increase that a bit as they grow very fast. Normal meatbird protein is 22 to 24% protein. Cutting back to 18% will help slow that unnatural growth which risks leg fractures.

About 1 year to 2 years is the most lifespan you will see due to essentially giantism and other mutations they have been unnaturally selected for. Usually their heart gives out.

Giving them some treat motivated exercise is a good plan as often they won't move much on their own. Avoid anything that causes excessive jumping as their leg bones are more fragile having been selected for thinner bones.

You've been given good advice so far. 4.5oz of feed per bird is a good starting point. Put it out and see how much they eat in 30 minutes. Your goal is to give them no more than they can eat in that time. And do it twice per day. 18% protein with 1% calcium is a good mix for the next 3-5 weeks, then you'll want to dial it down to 16%/1%.

Separate food, water and warmth as far apart as you can to encourage them to move about. They should be about done with brooder heat, but what are your temps outside? Grass and sunshine are very important to extending their lives. Have they been introduced to meal worms? If not, give them a few so they discover that they are food. Once they realize they are a treat, they'll beg for them. Give them a few, a few times a day, but as far away from them as you can.

The goal is for them to enter into an exercise program where they work their muscles and bones. With three birds, I'd toss two at a time, this will get the one who is slowest chasing the others. Also if you can get it, I would add broiler booster to their water for 3-5 weeks.

Oh, ... Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya

Alright. Sounds good. They are about 3 wks, and I assume all flock feed is for any age correct?
Right now these guys are on 30% protein! It's incredible how fast they grow, and a bit saddening.
No clue but wanted to :welcome
There are others that have more experience, let's see if we can get some help ...

@Lady of McCamley @aart @donrae @KikisGirls
Thank you!!!

You need to limit their feed intake. Let them forage on green lawn or such. Just feed them a feed like Alflock. 18% protein I think. Higher protein means they grow faster. They are by design EATING MACHINES. I had one (long story) and I only keep pets. She went not quite a year. I have heard of some live 1.5 years. Chicken at 9 months was huge like a small turkey. View attachment 1220995
AND WELCOME .............:welcome
Thank you for the info and pic!

Back
Top Bottom