Help! I need some suggestions on how to stop my hens from spilling so much feed.

DianaMallory

Songster
8 Years
Jul 20, 2012
Lancaster Ohio
I filled the 12 pound feeder up yesterday and walked in to this today.

You can see the shavings pushed up to the back wall and that is feed all over the floor.

I have tried to hang it higher and that didn't work.
This is what is left in the feeder after being full yesterday.

So tired of the waist! Does anyone have any suggestions?

There are 2 solutions for your problem. First ;; just feed them daily the amount they will consume. Second. get a different feeder called a 5 gallon pail with a PVC elbow. You can find instructions on how to make one on thread related to feeders and waterers. Your feeder allows chickens to throw out too much feed.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...te-5-gallon-25-feed-bucket-feeder-for-about-3

WISHING YOU BEST
thumbsup.gif

Feed them pellets only, for mash and similar feeds they spread it all over the place looking for the delicious bits.
Never alter the pellets in anyway. like adding water and oil or anything. they will start looking for the more delicious pellets.
change your feeders as suggested above

You could also wait a day or two AFTER the feeder is completely empty before refilling and they will clean up the feed they wasted. Hunger is a strong motivator.

But the wasted feed will also draw rodents, which is not ideal as their droppings can carry diseases (which the chickens will likely invariably consume eating feed off the ground).

A different feeder will make a big difference, like the one cavemanrich suggested.

We use a treadle feeder (feeder opens up when a chicken steps on the platform, keeps out rodents) with an insert with holes to keep them from billing the feed out:

Last edited:
we used a couple feet of 6 inch PVC Put an elbow on it and drilled out several holes big enough for the chickens to get their heads into. We fill at the elbow and angle it up a bit so the feed runs to the far edges and we have virtually no spillage.Just needs to be long enough and with enough holes for most of your chickens to get a spot at the buffet at the same time. sorry no pics I am relatively new to the site and haven't uploaded any yet......

I have 70 hens, I gave bread and food scrap cook in warm water when I have some, first thing in the morning,they almost jump in the backet they love it so much,then I feed them scratch grain and corn,every other day I feed them later in the morning then usually so they get to clean out the dry spill they have made all over,for some raison they do not like the corn unless I feed them late on purpose,then they eat it clean.

I have the same problem.

I stopped adding sunflower seeds to my pellets, because the fling the pellets all over hunting for the sunflower seeds.
Just plain pellets from now on.

I'm also building a plastic bucket feeder this weekend.
Food spillage will lead to rats or mice, I know from experience.

As already mentioned, a different feeder will help immensely. There are many different 'no waste' styles that you can employ, just a matter of deciding which is right for you. Really liking the look of the one pdirt posted, but the bucket style mentioned by cavemanrich is also quite popular and quite an easy DIY project.

Back
Top Bottom