Help identifying my pretty lady duck!

karfisch

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2022
Howdy! I’ve had these two ducks for about 6 weeks now, they were both purchased from TS. My boy is without a doubt a Pekin and I’ve assumed my girl is a runner, but am unsure considering these are my first duckies! She doesn’t seem to walk/run super upright like adult runners I’ve seen in videos and her coloring is a bit interesting. She’s mostly gray, with black spots over her wings. One of the spots is iridescent too, it shines a green/purple color in the sun. I also noticed the quills of her larger wing feathers are a light blue.

I attached the most recent pic I have of her. She stands upright like that to look around, but seems to move in a similar way to the boy.

Any help from you duck aficionados would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Attachments

• 05BABA3C-4275-43AC-B373-7E4AD1773B6B.jpeg
    05BABA3C-4275-43AC-B373-7E4AD1773B6B.jpeg
    920.1 KB · Views: 25
definitely a blue runner! might be a drake though
She’s definitely a girl, she’s been quacking since week 4 or so! But thank you so much for the breed confirmation! Will she start walking more upright the older she gets? Or is it a trait that can be more or less pronounced in the breed?

She’s definitely a girl, she’s been quacking since week 4 or so! But thank you so much for the breed confirmation! Will she start walking more upright the older she gets? Or is it a trait that can be more or less pronounced in the breed?
They don't always stand and walk upright 100% of the time, but she is still growing, so she might get more vertical. Also, she's a hatchery duckling, and their quality isn't always superb. My hatchery runner walks more horizontal a lot of the time because she's looking for bugs, but when she runs, she assumes the bowling-pin-with-paddles position.

unless she’s a “show quality” duck from a breeder she will probably just stay like that, my ducks are all “pet quality” and definitely don’t look exactly how their breeds should lol

i don’t have runners but my pekin looked like yours did as a baby, mine are jumbo pekin though so bigger

What did your ducks look like as babies??? I’m trying to figure out if I have a pekin and a runner myself!
This is what they looked like:

I believe this was at about 1 week (I don’t think both are the exact same age, I believe the Pekin is a bit older)

Attachments

• DC81E536-5DC4-40D4-ABB8-6DEA074680B0.jpeg
    DC81E536-5DC4-40D4-ABB8-6DEA074680B0.jpeg
    629.3 KB · Views: 21
unless she’s a “show quality” duck from a breeder she will probably just stay like that, my ducks are all “pet quality” and definitely don’t look exactly how their breeds should lol

i don’t have runners but my pekin looked like yours did as a baby, mine are jumbo pekin though so bigger
Jumbos eh? They must be massive! I’ve been so impressed and amazed at his size and rapid growth. It’s been a great experience so far!

They don't always stand and walk upright 100% of the time, but she is still growing, so she might get more vertical. Also, she's a hatchery duckling, and their quality isn't always superb. My hatchery runner walks more horizontal a lot of the time because she's looking for bugs, but when she runs, she assumes the bowling-pin-with-paddles position.
Awesome, thank you for the info! she’s growing up so fast 🥲

Back
Top Bottom