seberger22

Chirping
May 25, 2017
Hi all,
Day 28 for my duck eggs was yesterday, but I had one duckling hatch on Tuesday night. Since there had been absolutely no action from the other eggs (no pipping, no rocking and rolling, no noise--I'm used to chicken eggs, maybe ducks are different?), I thought the other 7 I have were not going to hatch.
I have my incubator in my classroom at school, so I was considering getting rid of the eggs before I leave today because I don't want to come back to a stinky mess on Monday morning.
However, I decided to candle a couple of them this morning to see what happened and to see if there's any last hope to hang onto with these eggs before I threw away viable ducklings.
When I candled them, I saw movement in there! So I don't know what to do. Why aren't they hatching? Should I do something for them?
I had to open the incubator yesterday morning to take out the duckling that hatched Tuesday night, so I tried to add some warm water and sponges when I did so. I also opened the incubator this morning to take the eggs out to candle, so I tried to put warm water in this morning too after the eggs seemed viable. I hope I didn't shrinkwrap any! The humidity in the incubator currently reads 80%.

What should I do? Should I leave them over the weekend? Should I do something for them? I leave at 1pm today, so I don't really want to start an assisted hatch since I wouldn't be able to see it through over the weekend.
Any suggestions??

My daughter as a science teacher has that going on. Next Friday is hatch date.
They take time and attention to support them.

My daughter as a science teacher has that going on. Next Friday is hatch date.
They take time and attention to support them.
Yes, they do! I'm already caring for the one duckling that hatched. I'm just not sure what to do about the live ducklings in the eggs that aren't hatching.

Hi all,
Day 28 for my duck eggs was yesterday, but I had one duckling hatch on Tuesday night. Since there had been absolutely no action from the other eggs (no pipping, no rocking and rolling, no noise--I'm used to chicken eggs, maybe ducks are different?), I thought the other 7 I have were not going to hatch.
I have my incubator in my classroom at school, so I was considering getting rid of the eggs before I leave today because I don't want to come back to a stinky mess on Monday morning.
However, I decided to candle a couple of them this morning to see what happened and to see if there's any last hope to hang onto with these eggs before I threw away viable ducklings.
When I candled them, I saw movement in there! So I don't know what to do. Why aren't they hatching? Should I do something for them?
I had to open the incubator yesterday morning to take out the duckling that hatched Tuesday night, so I tried to add some warm water and sponges when I did so. I also opened the incubator this morning to take the eggs out to candle, so I tried to put warm water in this morning too after the eggs seemed viable. I hope I didn't shrinkwrap any! The humidity in the incubator currently reads 80%.

What should I do? Should I leave them over the weekend? Should I do something for them? I leave at 1pm today, so I don't really want to start an assisted hatch since I wouldn't be able to see it through over the weekend.
Any suggestions??

Any suggestions??? Should I just leave them in the incubator over the weekend and see what happens?

Hi all,

Any suggestions??
What happened?? I have almost the same problem!

Can you give a little info ?
Did you calibrate separate hygrometer and thermometer to set inside the bator ?
Have you candled the egg ti see what’s going on
Are there any bruises on the egg that just appeared ?
I never calibrated the two hygrometers I put in, but they seemed to be pretty accurate until lockdown (increased humidity?). I haven’t candled yet either, because i don’t want to cause a big humidity drop. Two eggs out of four are actually looking like they’re going to hatch—they’ve pipped an are moving a little (one has zipped). What should I do about the other two? How long should I leave them in the bator? We’re on day 29, now. Oh, and I also don’t really know how to look for bruising…

I never calibrated the two hygrometers I put in, but they seemed to be pretty accurate until lockdown (increased humidity?). I haven’t candled yet either, because i don’t want to cause a big humidity drop. Two eggs out of four are actually looking like they’re going to hatch—they’ve pipped an are moving a little (one has zipped). What should I do about the other two? How long should I leave them in the bator? We’re on day 29, now. Oh, and I also don’t really know how to look for bruising…
What concerns me most is that the hygrometer temps are off from another. One reads 96.4 degrees, the other says 99.7. The bator itself says 38.4 C

Back
Top Bottom