HELP - Lethargic Hen, Refusing Water, with No Other Obvious Symptoms

SkellyAnne

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2024
Chicago Suburbs
I'm stumped. Other than being lethargic and refusing water and most food, she seems fine.

Hen: Light Brahma, 4 years old, named Petunia. She has lost weight recently, but in general is a pretty big lady due to her breed. She's the boss of our little backyard flock. She lays tan eggs so it's hard to tell when she lays, but I don't think she's laid much, if at all, this season. She was slowing down on laying at the end of last season.

Usual Living Conditions: Backyard chicken, free roaming in fenced in yard, just shy of an acre. 5 hens total in the coop. No issues with bullying. Water from the well, same as we drink in the house. Organic pellet feed, soy free and corn free.

Symptoms: Lethargic, refusing water, not eating much. She is alert and chatters at me when I sit with her, which is typical of her. She will stand to poop, take a step or two, and lay back down. She does not appear to be in pain, just very tired.
  • No signs of trauma or injury.
  • No other birds in our flock are showing symptoms. Though, we have one hen that we learned has ascites, but I believe that is not realted. Last weekend, I drained the fluid from that hen, and since then she has snapped completely back to normal. It's been a really incredible recovery.
  • Flock was dewormed last week. I used Safe Guard Goat Dewormer. 3cc to 1 gallon of water, for 7 days, ending on Tuesday (she fell sick the next day, Wednesday).
  • Comb is pale, but otherwise normal.
  • Eyes and nose are clear.
  • Skin is clear.
  • Very light wheezing when breathing - I can only hear it when putting my ear to her chest. Sometimes her breathing does seem laboured, like after standing.
  • Crop is soft, no oder. Mostly empty since she isn't eating much.
  • Breast bone is easy to feel, due to weight loss. Wings and legs seem normal, no apparent pain or injury.
  • Abdomen feels normal. Soft and not bloated. No signs of an egg.
  • Vent is clear. Some mess on her feathers around it, but seems to be due to the last few days of illness.
  • Feet look normal. No sign of sores or wounds. Her feathered feet always look more scaled than the other hens, but I don't think they're indicative of mites.
  • Poop is white and watery. As of this morning, it is bright green, which I understand is due to the bile because her stomach is so empty. Her last poop was oily but finally had a small bit of more typical formed brown content.

Timeline & Treatment:
I'd like to continue treating her myself, but I'm willing to put in a lot of effort, as long as I am not prolonging suffering.

Wednesday morning she was laying in the run, alert but not interested in scratching around with the other girls. When I got home from work in the evening, she hadn't moved. I carried her to her food and water, and she ate and drank some. She stayed standing, but with her tail down. I examined her, but didn't really find anything. Then brought her in for an Epsom bath, since her tail was down. I dried her and we had some snugs. Since then, she has been isolated indoors. We have a large steam shower that is never used, so we lined it with a tarp, filled it with the same bedding that's in the coop, and put out her normal food and water. Every few hours she stands to poop, then takes a few steps and lays back down. She has been alert most of the time, a little less so today. She eats pretty well, especially when I hand feed her, but hardly drinks. Friday (last) night, I attempted to give her water with a syringe, but she is still alert enough to fight me, and she shook her head to fling most of it around the room instead. Saturday (today), I finally realized I can feed her food with a high water content. She has eaten a couple pieces of watermelon, half of a roma tomato, some feed pellets, and some dried grubs. I plan to offer her cucumber next. I check on her every hour or so and offer her more food and water by hand. At first, she ate more of the food even once I was gone, but less so as the day goes on. Her last two poops that I observed were white and water, not green, and had the slightest hint of normal, brown, oily, solid content. I've sat with her a lot, and she still chatters at me like usual. It seems like I might be making some small progress on the food and water front, but I have no idea what the underlying issue is and I'm worried she'll dye of dehydration before I can do anything to help her.

Hi there. How is she today? Any better at all?
You mentioned you just dewormed the flock. Was there a confirmed worm load, or was it preventive?
Safeguard is very safe medication, but I have seen a handful of cases where a hen fell ill right after a deworming with it. I have a suspicion that there may have been a small issue already that the deworming shows us.
I normally do not jump to antibiotics, but she may have an infection that she’s fighting, and she may need help. The comment that you could hear a little rasp or wheeze makes me think this also.

@dawg53 ?

Hi there. How is she today? Any better at all?
You mentioned you just dewormed the flock. Was there a confirmed worm load, or was it preventive?
Safeguard is very safe medication, but I have seen a handful of cases where a hen fell ill right after a deworming with it. I have a suspicion that there may have been a small issue already that the deworming shows us.
I normally do not jump to antibiotics, but she may have an infection that she’s fighting, and she may need help. The comment that you could hear a little rasp or wheeze makes me think this also.

@dawg53 ?
Thank you for your reply! She's about the same, maybe a little weaker. Her little chirps at me seem a little more laboured. She has eaten two slices of watermelon, and working on a third. They're fairly small pieces though. In between pieces I've also gotten her to eat some pellets, but she still refuses water.

The deworming was preventative. I'm glad to hear Safegaurd is a good choice for that. I did think the timing of her illness was suspicious.

I'm definitely open to antibiotics at this point. Do you know where I can get them, or the best way to administer them? I read about Tylan 50 somewhere, but everywhere I've found it online requires a prescription, and none of the farm stores around here sell it.

New observation - I was just feeding her some grubs, and I floated some in her water to try to trick her. She snatched one out and then put it down when she realized it was wet. She tried a couple more times and any time she got any water, she would pause, and eventually stood up like she was offended. She only stood a second before laying back down though. It didn’t seem like pain, but she was definitely repulsed by the water. It’s the same water she has drank her whole life. But I did put the dewormer in the water last week. Could she be refusing the water because she didn’t like the dewormer for some reason or because it somehow caused her pain?

Petunia is hanging in there. I brought her outside with me for most of the day, and she was very alert and happy to be outside. She ate a lot, chatted off and on, had some small but healthier looking poops, and even took a sip of water. She’s making a frown in her picnic picture, but she often looked more content. All things considered, I think she had an enjoyable day, so I’m very glad for that.

She stands up periodically, but not for long, and kind of melts back down slowly, like she ran out of steam. Something definitely seems to be affecting her balance or legs. Her feet curl normally when I touch the pads, so no evidence of paralysis. Im not sure what else to do, so my current plan is just to keep focusing on food and water, and hope she gets stronger or shows a new symptom to help me understand.

Attachments

• IMG_5170.jpeg
    IMG_5170.jpeg
    620.6 KB · Views: 3
Yesterday I noticed her star gazing a little while sleeping. This and her balance and walking issues brought me back to suspecting a thiamine deficiency. I'm not sure how she would have become deficient, other than the small dose of dewormer, but it does fit all of her symptoms well, and I did deworm just before she fell sick.

I started giving her slightly less than the rapid response dose of Nutri-drench - I'm on day 2. She's 11 pounds, and I'm getting about 3cc before she seems stressed so I stop. I used these instructions but still struggle to find the correct spot in her mouth. I go very slowly, but she has coughed once, and I'm afraid I may hurt her worse if she aspirates that gloopy stuff. She is not mouth breathing or gurgling or continuing to cough at all though. She's eating a little less but I figure that's because she's full of Nutri-drench.

I'm not sure I'm seeing any improvement, but it's only been about 36 hours since the first dose. I don't know whether to be discouraged or lower my expectations for how long the medicine takes to work. If this doesn't help, I don't know what to assume other than something neurological that she won't be able to recover from. I'll be very sad to lose her, but my biggest concern is prolonging her suffering because I'm waiting for her to respond to a treatment that doesn't end up working.

We've had four day's of Nutri-drench. She fights me more everyday, which I guess could be good that she's not so weak she's giving up. It doesn't seem like she's getting better though.

I was wondering, how many days I can continue to give her the rapid response dose. Her dose by weight is 3.67cc. So far I've given her 2cc, 3cc, 3cc, and 2cc. Is there a max? @sloanbychoice @pennyJo1960 ?

Back
Top Bottom