Help! Light fell on chick :(

kara_aus

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2020
Hi,

I have two 3 week old chicks. The lamp I'm using (40w standard desk lamp.. NOT heat lamp/bulb) fell on the chick and she was stuck inside for a second or 2. I'm worried it may have burned her.

Luckily, the lamp is warm but not ridiculously hot (I can touch it briefly). And she is feathering out pretty quickly. Is there anything I should do? Ensure she's drinking enough water and perhaps use human burn cream? Is there any signs to look for and what does a chicken burn even look like?

Thanks heaps!
20200821_114358.jpg
20200821_114353.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, can you take a picture of the chick? Normal drinking, eating, pooping and other normal behaviors are important to watch for. Thanks!

The brooder heat plate I have feels pretty hot to my hand, but even downy chicks don’t get burned. I think 40 watts is not really very hot and they are probably fine. Look for strange movements or odd behavior.

20200821_115356.jpg

Here we go. She's the lighter one down the bottom. Het skin was a little red and irritated anyway, trying to treat them for lice/mites.

Hi,

I have two 3 week old chicks. The lamp I'm using (40w standard desk lamp.. NOT heat lamp/bulb) fell on the chick and she was stuck inside for a second or 2. I'm worried it may have burned her.

Luckily, the lamp is warm but not ridiculously hot (I can touch it briefly). And she is feathering out pretty quickly. Is there anything I should do? Ensure she's drinking enough water and perhaps use human burn cream? Is there any signs to look for and what does a chicken burn even look like?

Thanks heaps!View attachment 2299267View attachment 2299268
View attachment 2299280

Here we go. She's the lighter one down the bottom. Het skin was a little red and irritated anyway, trying to treat them for lice/mites.
How warm is it in that brooder?
You mention you are trying to treat for lice/mites - do you see bugs on the chicks?
What are you treating them with?

Back
Top Bottom