Erik the epic

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 12, 2016
Michigan
I have three bobwhite quail two hens and one male, all are about a year old. The male has suddenly started attacking the females. One hen has been scalped I can see bone, and she is limping.The other hen has lost a lot of feathers but nothing as bad a the first hen.The male has been a little aggressive towards us and other animals like dogs, cats,goats, cows, etc but he has never been this bad to his own hens. should I separate the male from the hens,should i release him, should I cull him???? My family is leaving for vacation tomorrow so help ASAP would be great thanks.

I have three bobwhite quail two hens and one male, all are about a year old. The male has suddenly started attacking the females. One hen has been scalped I can see bone, and she is limping.The other hen has lost a lot of feathers but nothing as bad a the first hen.The male has been a little aggressive towards us and other animals like dogs, cats,goats, cows, etc but he has never been this bad to his own hens. should I separate the male from the hens,should i release him, should I cull him???? My family is leaving for vacation tomorrow so help ASAP would be great thanks.
Separate or cull....not sure releasing would be cool.

o
Dont worry. This is normal, for most male bobwhites will do so. Your male is aggressive- mine is as well. I separate them all day, have the male in one cage(one-by-one square ft), and the hen(s) in the bigger other one. While the hen has her eggs- dont let them mate. it does nothing. She ends up pooping it out anyway(It cant go through since the egg is in the way). I suggest feeling for the eggs, and if they have none, let them mate(If you want fertile eggs), Then put him back in his own cage. It seems to be working fine for me, both have food and water.(sorry for the late reply.. but hope it helps you or anyone else!)

Back
Top Bottom