Help me decide what breeds i should use for my project/ if i should mix

fluffycrow

Chasing broodies
Premium Feather Member
Jan 12, 2023
Attica Greece
If you know me, you know I'm not a fan of mixes. But there are some exceptions. Right now, the only two breeds I'm interested in breeding are the aseel, and a Greek landrace breed (and possibly yokohama but that's another thing). That being said, I'd like to start a project (so this would be the third "breed" I guess) to create a good free ranging bird. I already have a great base, the landrace breed, they are known for being good flyers and good at roosting high up in the trees (I can confirm the first part is true). Now, my goals for this birds is to be on the lightweight side, be an excellent flyer and forager, as well as being fast to mature and a good broody and mom (I don't want to be raising any chicks, they should be able to self multiply) and lastly, though not entirely necessary, I'd like it if they had a distinguishing mark, like a small crest, or a beard. Now, I'm covered when it comes to being a good forager, being lightweight, being good flyers, and having a distinguishing mark (though I'd like to improve on the last three) so basically, what I really need now is a fast maturing bird, that goes broody, and is on the lighter side. If anyone has any ideas as to what might be good, I'm all ears. My first thoughts for flight and lightweight-ness were Mediterranean breeds, but they are usually bad broodies,and

I'm not the most knowledgeable with projects like yours, but are any of the breeds you are currently planning on using somewhat broody? If so I think you could use a Mediterranean breed. I know our flock is a very small sampling, but from my experience I would say broodiness is dominant. We went years with no broodies then picked up a few birds at auction. Only 1 hen in the group, but she brooded twice that first year. We kept one roo who genetically seemed similar to the hen. He became dominant roo. Now I frequently have broodies. We also ended up hatching a white leghorn cross (not from my birds). I have no idea what she was crossed with, but she brooded 3 time in her first year.

I'm not the most knowledgeable with projects like yours, but are any of the breeds you are currently planning on using somewhat broody? If so I think you could use a Mediterranean breed. I know our flock is a very small sampling, but from my experience I would say broodiness is dominant. We went years with no broodies then picked up a few birds at auction. Only 1 hen in the group, but she brooded twice that first year. We kept one roo who genetically seemed similar to the hen. He became dominant roo. Now I frequently have broodies. We also ended up hatching a white leghorn cross (not from my birds). I have no idea what she was crossed with, but she brooded 3 time in her first year.

Supposedly my base breed (the Greek landrace breed) is a really good broody, one of its main traits. That being said, none of my girls have gone broody

Back
Top Bottom