Help me rescue this chickies eye?

ParchedLand

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2023
This is my first set of chickens and I’m already feeling overwhelmed. Please help 🙏
We got them last Friday and almost immediately two of the chicks started pecking at the other’s eyes. I thought they may need more space so went and quickly bought a baby play pen to give them ample room. No luck. After isolating them, one completely stopped but the other continues to peck at the eyes.. so she’s been in isolation this whole time.
I tried to reunite them Wednesday night - she seemed fine for almost an hour so I let her stay but Thursday morning noticed two birds looking a lot less well around the eyes.
I’ve been using a medication I used for my own eyes and it helped the first shut eye we found Sunday morning but now this is happening on a different chick (see pics) she’s still eating and drinking thankfully but I’m worried the eye may be lost.

Attachments

• 40F2A8F1-F683-4609-8B6C-74DB3BAF01C7.jpeg
    40F2A8F1-F683-4609-8B6C-74DB3BAF01C7.jpeg
    375.3 KB · Views: 25
  • C85205F9-B960-4BE3-A94B-68ACD27C896A.jpeg
    C85205F9-B960-4BE3-A94B-68ACD27C896A.jpeg
    308.2 KB · Views: 12
This is my first set of chickens and I’m already feeling overwhelmed. Please help 🙏
We got them last Friday and almost immediately two of the chicks started pecking at the other’s eyes. I thought they may need more space so went and quickly bought a baby play pen to give them ample room. No luck. After isolating them, one completely stopped but the other continues to peck at the eyes.. so she’s been in isolation this whole time.
I tried to reunite them Wednesday night - she seemed fine for almost an hour so I let her stay but Thursday morning noticed two birds looking a lot less well around the eyes.
I’ve been using a medication I used for my own eyes and it helped the first shut eye we found Sunday morning but now this is happening on a different chick (see pics) she’s still eating and drinking thankfully but I’m worried the eye may be lost.
I'm no expert, but even if the eye is missing, I believe the chick itself will be fine. I had a rooster that got in a fight with I don't know what,(I think it was a coon or weasel) and it lost it's eye. It was fine, other than the fact that it would only be able to see one way.

I would try putting colloidal silver in the eye if you have some. That will help prevent infection. Isolating it is probably the best thing to do until it heals as chickens/chicks will peck at any wound they can find and make it worse.
Even if it doesn't get its sight back, it should be fine. I've had a completely blind rooster and he lived fine by hearing his way around. He was always a bit nervous but the sweetest thing.
good luck with your chicks!🙂

Back
Top Bottom